Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm new to linux, this is the first time I've ever used linux, and I've got slackware up and running, I had to install WICD and get the broadcom firmware, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

New to linux, installed slackware, can't access NTFS partition as user

I'm new to linux, this is the first time I've ever used linux, and I've got slackware up and running, I had to install WICD and get the broadcom firmware, installed flash 11, but now I can't access the NTFS partition that I backed up all my data on as a user, but when I log in as root I can access it. I get the following error:
    Code:
    An error occurred while accessing '368.1 GiB Hard Drive'. the system responded: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied: Rejected send message, 1 matched rules; type="method_call", sender=":1.28" (uid=1000 pid=4227 comm="kdeinit4: dolphin [kdeinit] -icon system-file-mana") interface="org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume" member="Mount" error name'"(unset)" requested reply=0 destination="org.freedesktop.Hal" (uid=0 pid=1727 comm="/usr/sbin/hald))
    Can anyone help me with this?

Just Joined!
    Apparently you do not provide proper mount parameters.
    They are dependent on your driver vendor, so you'd better look at the documentation.
    At least that's what happened to me when I installed (commercial) Paragon NTFS driver.

Just Joined!
    When you install slackware there is an option to mount the ntfs partician, if you do that it will be available at any time. I always do that and name the partician with the version of windows using /windowsxp/ and it works.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    edit /etc/fstab

/dev/<partition> /mount/point ntfs-3g auto,users,ro 0 0

if you don't know what <partition> or /mount/point is, run mount as root and you should be able to tell

note: ntfs-3g needs to be installed for this and i expect it is

Quote Originally Posted by brother_kirik View Post
    I'm new to linux, this is the first time I've ever used linux, and I've got slackware up and running, I had to install WICD and get the broadcom firmware, installed flash 11, but now I can't access the NTFS partition that I backed up all my data on as a user, but when I log in as root I can access it. I get the following error:
    Code:
    An error occurred while accessing '368.1 GiB Hard Drive'. the system responded: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied: Rejected send message, 1 matched rules; type="method_call", sender=":1.28" (uid=1000 pid=4227 comm="kdeinit4: dolphin [kdeinit] -icon system-file-mana") interface="org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume" member="Mount" error name'"(unset)" requested reply=0 destination="org.freedesktop.Hal" (uid=0 pid=1727 comm="/usr/sbin/hald))
    Can anyone help me with this?
    Check and make sure your user is added to the plugdev group log in a terminal as root, change to the /etc directory then use nano to edit the group file, near the bottom you'll find the plugdev group just add your user name to that group. It will look something like this

plugdev;x:83:username

Save and exit nano
    Log out of system then back in and see if that works.