Find the answer to your Linux question:
good morning. i'm using slack 13.37, with original kernel. my bootloader is lilo. when i boot my pc (toshiba notebook), the console starts in the standard 80x25 mode, but during ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Small characters in console

good morning.
    i'm using slack 13.37, with original kernel. my bootloader is lilo.

when i boot my pc (toshiba notebook), the console starts in the standard 80x25 mode, but during the boot the screen clears and set a very small characters mode (i think about 200x80).

there is a way to set the standard 80x25 mode?

thanks

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Take a look at the setfont command and also /etc/rc.d/rc.font.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by daark.child View Post
    Take a look at the setfont command and also /etc/rc.d/rc.font.
    i already try to use setfont and i chmodded 400 the rc.font, but nothing happens...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    That should be set in /etc/default/grub. Look for
    Code:
     GRUB_GFXMODE=1680x1050x24
    and change the numbers to whatever you want. It probably won't say 1680x1050, but whatever it is, change it to your preference.

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell View Post
    That should be set in /etc/default/grub. Look for
    Code:
     GRUB_GFXMODE=1680x1050x24
    and change the numbers to whatever you want. It probably won't say 1680x1050, but whatever it is, change it to your preference.
    Slackware doesn't use GRUB, it uses LILO. But the fact that the font changes during the boot points to a startup script being responsible. My slackware-based system has a script called rc.font; that might be a good one to check and perhaps edit.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

Quite a while since I used Slackware, but KMS actually uses the native resolution for the console - thus the small fonts. Any changes you make via the bootloader will be discarded the moment the video driver is loaded and the framebuffer console kicks in. Editing rc.font as suggested to set a console font size, rather than messing with resolution may or may not work.

Just Joined!
    I fixed this by putting "video=640x480" as part of the kernel image append line in lilo.conf. There are other modes too if your screen doenst have a 4:3 aspect.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by fogpipe View Post
    I fixed this by putting "video=640x480" as part of the kernel image append line in lilo.conf. There are other modes too if your screen doesn't have a 4:3 aspect.
    Thank you so much fogpipe for supplying that solution. I have been searching for literally weeks! It works with LFS (Linux from Scratch) as well as Slackware 14.1 .

In fact my needs are very simple:

a) a console with legible 80x25 text (now at last solved)

b) control of the screen brightness. I can now do that with
    echo 600 > /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/brightness

Until now I had thought that one or the other was possible but not both . . .

Is it not off-putting for novices that the default screen has such tiny text, without any obvious way supplied to change it? It gives such an amateurish impression.