Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I have an old Pentium Pro, Intel motherboard, Adaptec AHA-2940 UW SCSI controller, Seagate 18 gig SCSI drive, Nvidia Riva TNT video card box that keeps giving me the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Vector Linux (based on Slackware) 4.3 install help

Hi,

I have an old Pentium Pro, Intel motherboard, Adaptec AHA-2940 UW SCSI controller, Seagate 18 gig SCSI drive, Nvidia Riva TNT video card box that keeps giving me the same error when I try to install Vector.

"Error Error. I could not find the Veclinux.bz2 file in a Veclinux directory on your hard drive or the CD ROM" then it tells me to check a bunch of things that I am not experienced enough to do.

Could the SCSI card be the problem? I do not think that the Install CD is
    bad, I downloaded Vector again and checked the download size to the previous download and burn and they all match.

I sure would like to try this Distro because i have an old computer. Help, please.

Please don't double post (post also in installation forum) since it makes it more difficulte for people to give you an answer if they are scattered;

dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Linux Newbie
    i have a box similar to yours the only reason that I didn't keep slackware on it was becase it only had a 4gig hard drive which was very limiting. You have an 18 gig harddrive, so you should be fine. I would say that as long as you have at least 64megs of ram, you can run slack10 just fine. Because there isn't too much ram, I would reccomend using the fluxbox window manager because gnome and kde will run slowly...
    Registered Linux User Number 373366

Just Joined!
    Did anyone read my post ?

Re: Vector Linux (based on Slackware) 4.3 install help

Quote Originally Posted by brjoon1021
    Could the SCSI card be the problem? I do not think that the Install CD is bad, I downloaded Vector again and checked the download size to the previous download and burn and they all match.
    Yea, yea, I read your post, NO, if the SCSI works. Sounds like the download is bad, mybe you should try the "Live CD" of Vector to see if it will work on your system first. Now go give it a try again and start getting that experience going.
    Also like to see a little more info like, what esle is on the HD and how munch memory on that machine, how old is the CD ROM, would be nice.