Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all, I am having issues in installing SLACKWARE 13.37 on my server. I have a server with 8 hard drives. I have put first 2 hard drives in RAID ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

SLACKWARE INSTALLATION 13,37, issues with LILO

Hello all,
    I am having issues in installing SLACKWARE 13.37 on my server.
    I have a server with 8 hard drives. I have put first 2 hard drives in RAID 1 and rest of the hard-drives are configured in RAID6.
    I did all the required partitioning, you can check the exact partitioning in the file attached.
    After all the packages are installed, i select LILO as the bootloader and choose to install it in MBR , but i always get the error "/dev/hda" not found. I thought that it could be because of the fact that my hard drive is named /dev/cciss/c0d0 and /dev/cciss/c0d1, so i opened the lilo.conf and changed the directory name against the filed <boot>. I tried configuring LILO again, but i am getting a new kind of error, fata - raid_setup.
    Please suggest.
    Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Just Joined!
    Lilo offers another option to put it on the root or boot partician have you tried that, it might work.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by zrdc28 View Post
    Lilo offers another option to put it on the root or boot partician have you tried that, it might work.
    Hi,
    It does not give the option of putting it in boot partition when we use simple mode to install LILO. I tried putting it in root partition, LILO was installed successfully, but it still does not boot with SLACKWARE, it gives the error "GRUB Loading,,Error 2"

I am afraid if it has something to do with RAID, please sugges, i am not an expert when it comes to working with RAID,

I've never actually played with a RAID array, so my help will be very limited.
    During setup, could you get a shot of the output of the following:
    Code:
    mount
    fdisk -l
    Post what you can here. It might garner a few more suggestions.

*EDIT*
    BTW...
    GRUB Error 2:
    "Selected disk doesn't exist"

This error is returned if the device part of a device- or full filename refers to a disk or BIOS device that is not present or not recognized by the BIOS in the system.
    Last edited by jayd512; 03-18-2012 at 09:53 PM. Reason: added info
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    It has been installed, thanks for ur replies.
    I installed LILO in MBR and manually edited the lilo.conf to give the right device name and it worked.

Glad to hear that you got it sorted out!
    If you're satisfied with the results, you can mark this thread as [SOLVED] using the Thread Tools link near the top of the page.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.