Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Hello Eric, I used slapt-get to install these dependencies. It installed the packages except for two. I received an error saying, "No such package" for both gdk-pixbuf & startup-notifications. Then ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Hello Eric,

I used slapt-get to install these dependencies. It installed the packages except for two. I received an error saying, "No such package" for both gdk-pixbuf & startup-notifications.

Then I used the package names gdk-pixbuf2 & startup-notification & got a message that they were both upgraded successfully.

After I checked to make sure all correct versions were installed in /var/log/packages. The following packages are listed:

glib2-2.30.2-i486-1gsb
    gdk-pixbuf2-2.24-i486-2gsb
    atk-2.20-i486-1gsb
    pango-1.29-i486-1gsb
    pygobject-2.28.6-2gsb
    startup-notification-0.12-i486-1gsb
    gstreamer-0.10.35-i486-1gsb
    gst-plugins-good-0.10.30-i486-1gsb
    gnome-icon-themes-3.2.1-noarch-1gsb
    libnotify-0.7.4-i486-1gsb

So, except for the pango package, all meet or exceed the dependency versions listed here:

glib2 (>= 2.2
    gdk-pixbuf (>= 2.24)
    atk (>= 2.2)
    pango (>= 2.2)
    pygobject (>= 2.2
    startup-notifications (>= 0.12)
    gstreamer (>= 0.10.35)
    gst-plugins-good (>= 0.10.30)
    gnome-icon-theme (>= 3.0.0)
    libnotify (>= 0.7.1)

I could find no package for pango version 2.2. The latest version on slackfind.net for pango is pango-1.28.4-i486-1 for 13.37. It also has a packaged named pangomm-2.28.2-i486-1sl.

The site linuxpackages.net has a package named pangomm2.26.2. Is there another place that has pango2.2?

thanks,

Mark

I'm not sure what the deal is here, Mark. The highest stable version of Pango available is 1.29x --> en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pango

*shrugging*

You're persistent. I'll give you that. I would have given up on this project long ago. Welcome to Dependency H3LL! It's not a fun place.

Just Joined!
    I installed the Gnome SlackBuild with what seems to be the latest version of pango (1.29) & got the same error. I'll go ahead & reinstall Slackware. It might be a while before I do this, though.

Thank you for your help.

Mark

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I wasn't much help. I wish we could have resolved the issue. Well, maybe the reinstall will be a good thing, anyway. There has been a lot of installing/removing/tweaking going on with that current installation of Slack. A fresh start can't hurt.

Best of luck with it, Mark. C'mon back here and give us an update when you have one.

~Eric

Just Joined!
    I stumbled upon this unresolved thread. Although it is over a year old, perhaps someone else may get a search engine hit herein.
    Gnome Slackbuild is a project that appears to be abandoned. Mate (mah-tay) seems to have taken the Gnome Slackbuild code, upgraded most of the packages and renamed them. (You can still find Gnome Slackbuild code and comments in the sources.)

haitch tee tee pee colon virgule virgule mateslackbuilds.github.io is painless to install. ( I have yet to make the 15 posts necessary to use a URI.) The Slack'perts (if Slack'perts it the term for which I'm searching; typing "Slackware Experts" adds unnecessary wear and tear on my old fingerbones) have created build scripts that download, build and install everything you need to get started with MATE Slackbuild. The desktop is the same as Gnome 2. I agree, XFCE4 + Mate Slackbuild would be easier than trying to make the abandoned Gnome Slackbuild work, since the Mate developers have already done all the work needed to update the libraries and all for you.

[Delete this before you read it if it does not interest, elevate, and/or amuse.]

Excellent! Thanks for posting. I've had experience using and setting up Mate for others in distributions other than Slackware. It's good to see that there's an alternative to Gnome in Slackware now.

Your link from above: MATE SlackBuilds

Later...

~Eric

vtel57.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2