Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: KPackage

Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

KPackage

Hello, i'm probably missing something really obvious here but eh, here it is:

I recently installed Slackware 10 (everything's running fine) and i can't seem to get the Slackware packages to be recognized by KPackage (i'm using kde 3.2.3). I copied the Slackware cd's to the harddisk (mounted on /linux) and have tried setting the "location of base folder of Slackware distribution" to /linux, /linux/slackware, /linux/slackware/ap /linux/source/, /linux/source/ap (etc...) I also set the "location of folders containing slackware packages" to pretty much every directory containing slackware packages but still no luck...

(oh, and yes, i did use the "reload" button)

hope someone can help me (i know it's not an essential part of a system but i kind of like stuff to work)

Just Joined!
    Im new to linix I could't figure that one out so I drag and drop um

although, this doesn't answer your question, you can use pkgtool to install packages, it is already installed on your system.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Kpackage

Kpackage is very useful to install your Slackware packages.You can install your packages by "browse"(browse button is figured by a directory icon in Kpackage) or just right-click on the package , you want to install.Then in the coming menu choose "System>>Kpackage" and Kpackage appears on the screen.

Finally press "install" button and give your root passwod when it wants to install the package.

Oh well, thx for the replies ppl, guess i'll just have to do without KPackage already containing the packages and just select them myself. Although I did just discover swaret and slapt-get which seem like some pretty good alternatives

-t

hmm.. are you seeing the packages that are installed (kpackages reads reads from /var/log/packages/ ) ?.. when installing did you select "INSTALL EVERYTHING"? if you did then the slackware packeges found on the disk wont show in new because there names already exist in /var/log/packages.

i dont use kpackage its pretty useless for slackware packs.. if you need to install something run the setup again or use installpkg /path/to/package.tgz

hmm.. are you seeing the packages that are installed (kpackages reads reads from /var/log/packages/ ) ?.. when installing did you select "INSTALL EVERYTHING"? if you did then the slackware packeges found on the disk wont show in new because there names already exist in /var/log/packages.
    Yep, i can see everything that's installed and I didn't install everything (i double-checked and there's a whole bunch of packges there not yet installed).
    Anyway, i must confess i installed fedora core 3 today not so much because i didn't like slackware, just got bored (and i can't help being curious about 'the other' distro's) So well, i use Synaptic now

cheers,

-t

Linux Newbie
    Oh another looser
    You ll get bored soonly from Fedora..
    Slack rocks my friend but it is not user-freiendly, that i confess.
    Just a Newbie....Looking 4 Info....

Just Joined!
    I find Slack very friendly to me :P Just keep order!

Linux Newbie
    it is actually console friendly and if you are a user that likes console actions (like me) yes it is user friendly.
    Just a Newbie....Looking 4 Info....