Find the answer to your Linux question:
My old Vaio's video card died so now i have a 500 gig hard drive left over. i was thinking i could use it to carry my software with me ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Slack install to external HD

My old Vaio's video card died so now i have a 500 gig hard drive left over.
    i was thinking i could use it to carry my software with me like knoppix used to do with CDs so i can just boot computers from my hard drive
    anyone ever do this?
    thanks,
    G

Trusted Penguin
    You could get a USB disk enclosure. you just have to make sure that the right kind of connectors are on the inside of the enclosure (IDE, SATA, etc.). you can find one at Best Buy or Amazon.com.

If you are going to be carrying it around, it sure would be easier on you to pick up a 2 (or 4 or 16...) GB USB flash drive. you can get great deals on them at amazon.com. it is ridiculously easy to put bootable Linux on one of those these days, and easier to tote around than an external drive. plus the USB flash drive will get powered via the 5v line from the PC USB port, so no AC adapter.

you might want to consider putting that old disk in an enclosure and plugging it into your main PC via USB and using it as a back-up storage device, though.

Edit: Here's a guide on installing Slackware to a USB disk.
    Last edited by atreyu; 06-07-2012 at 02:33 AM. Reason: link

yeah, i already had an enclosure and i carry my hard drive around so i can have a few files for helping friends with windows problems. having slack on my hard drive just means i don't have to bring my laptop to have a clean OS.
    thanks a million
    >G

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by ltnemo2000 View Post
    yeah, i already had an enclosure and i carry my hard drive around so i can have a few files for helping friends with windows problems.
    oh, that's good.

just food for thought, though: the BIOS on some PCs is so old (or crappy) that USB boot isn't even an option. in those cases, it is the old CD/DVD to the rescue.

To that end, here are some Live CDs based upon Slackware that you may find interesting:

List of live CDs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I also am a big fan of the Gentoo-based SystemRescuCd.