Find the answer to your Linux question:
I trying to install the drivers for my printer canon Pixma mg5220. I did download the files from the Canon website in Asia. I have available drivers in the following ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question printer drivers rpm or source

I trying to install the drivers for my printer canon Pixma mg5220. I did download the files from the Canon website in Asia. I have available drivers in the following packages deb and rpm. Also I have the source package from the company.

Reading the Slackware book I realized that cannot install deb or rpm, but I can use rpm2tarbz to convert it to Slackware and then install it. Well, when I tried that the response was that the file apparently was not rpm (something like that).

So what I am looking for is for a link or response on how to install the drivers. It is better do the installation from the source? If so? How?

Please can you point me out to a website, a book, manual ... that explain the steps and how to accomplish that. I don't mind reading and testing, but I had spent the last 4 hour searching and trying without a positive result. But this is OK that's what I was looking for when I installed Slackware for a first time in my life last night!

Have you installed CUPS yet? It has some drivers built-in. You might also look at foomatic also. Check your package manager for both.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    Have you installed CUPS yet? It has some drivers built-in. You might also look at foomatic also. Check your package manager for both.
    Yes, I have both of them; CUPS and footmatic installed. The drivers that I have are from the company and for that printer, but I don't know how install a package from the source. So I tried installing the rpm changing them to slackware package but it did not work. I will continue looking for info until the end.... Thanks

Installing from source is not that hard. Give this link a look.
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...are-linux.html
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.

Thanks Mike, I already tried that before writing the first post and this is message that I received.

Code:
    Cannot install cnijfilter-source-3.40-1.tar.gz:  file does not end in .tgz, .tbz, .tlz,txz
    The file name is cnijfilter-source-3.40-1.tar.gz.

You probably need to unpack it first.
    Code:
    tar -zxvf cnijfilter-source-3.40-1.tar.gz
    The cd to the new directory
    cd cnijfilter-source
    make
    make install

Code:
    root@arodlinux:/home/darthvader/downloads/cnijfilter-source-3.40-1# make
    for dir in libs cngpij pstocanonij backend backendnet cngpijmon/cnijnpr; do (cd $dir; make $target)|| exit 1; done
    make[1]: Entering directory `/home/darthvader/downloads/cnijfilter-source-3.40-1/libs'
    make[1]: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/darthvader/downloads/cnijfilter-source-3.40-1/libs'
    make: *** [all] Error 1
    root@arodlinux:/home/darthvader/downloads/cnijfilter-source-3.40-1# make install
    target=install; for dir in libs cngpij pstocanonij backend backendnet cngpijmon/cnijnpr; do (cd $dir; make $target)|| exit 1; done
    make[1]: Entering directory `/home/darthvader/downloads/cnijfilter-source-3.40-1/libs'
    make[1]: *** No rule to make target `install'.  Stop.
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/darthvader/downloads/cnijfilter-source-3.40-1/libs'
    make: *** [install] Error 1
    I did all the steps and the above was the result.

In the new directory that was created when you unpacked the original file......there should be at least one file named INSTALL, this should tell you exactly what you need. There could possibly be another file named README.
    You might need to do a
    ./configure
    and then
    make
    make install