Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
What error message do you get when you type 'mysql -u root'?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

What error message do you get when you type 'mysql -u root'?

Just Joined!
    no error messages. but when i connect via phpmyadmin, it fails. do i have to do something with apache?(1.3)or maybe php? its installed and configured with apache.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by forceflow501
    no error messages. but when i connect via phpmyadmin, it fails. do i have to do something with apache?(1.3)or maybe php? its installed and configured with apache.
    I've used phpadmin with your exact set up with no problems. The only thing I can think of is maybe you need to have a pass setup with the mysql root user for phpmyadmin to connect. So get into the mysql client with 'mysql -u root' and then set a pass up for root:
    Code:
    mysql> SET PASSWORD FOR 'root'@'localhost' = PASSWORD('newpwd');
    mysql> SET PASSWORD FOR 'root'@'yourhostname' = PASSWORD('newpwd');
    Exit the mysql client and reconnect to test the pass:

Code:
    mysql -u root -p
    It will prompt for a pass, then you should be good. Next go into your phpmyadmin config.inc.php and change only these lines:

$cfg['PmaAbsoluteUri'] = 'http://localhost/phpmyadmin/'; //change accordingly, this setting isn't required, it auto-detected for me

$cfg['Servers'][$i]['auth_type'] = 'http'; // set it to HTTP (I prefer 'HTTP' over 'config')
    $cfg['Servers'][$i]['user'] = 'root';
    $cfg['Servers'][$i]['password'] = ''; // leave blank if you use HTTP

If you can connect to mysql using the client and have php working with apache, then this should work. I'm assuming you DO have php working since you can use phpmyadmin to get error messages?

EDIT: Just thought of another thing; are you connecting to phpmyadmin on the same comp that its running on? I think you might have to do something to the config to allow other hosts to connect, but i'm not 100% postive with this.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2