Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everyone! I was trying to install Slackware on my old PC Desktop with Windows (for my mother to use) so I could test it before using it in my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Unhappy LiLo Problem installing with an USB

Hi everyone! I was trying to install Slackware on my old PC Desktop with Windows (for my mother to use) so I could test it before using it in my personal laptop.

All the setup process goes fine, but LiLo install fails and so I can't get Slack's boot working, when I select it on the Windows boot loader after adding its options with EasyBCD.

I'll list you all the details of the entire process of setup + EasyBCD boot adding, to see if I got something wrong somewhere, but the actual error is where I attach the image.

First of all, I burned Slackware 13.37 amd64 complete .iso to my USB drive using UNetBootin (with the mini .img created for USB setup I had some real troubles having to copy the files from the USB into a mounting directory on the hard drive, too noob I am). Selected Default in UNetbootin startup selection, changed my keyboard map, logged as root, and typed setup as I prepared my partition map before using GParted.

I selected my swap partition (/dev/sda, saying not to check for bad blocks, and then used one of the Linux partition I created (/dev/sda5) as root partition. Didn't use any of the other ones as separate /home partition or whatsoever.

Added my two Windows partitions (/dev/sda1-2) to /etc/fstab with fmask=111,dmask=000 (read/write access for everyone) and mounted them in dedicated folders put in / partition directly.

Selected "install from a hard drive partition" option, pointing directly to my USB (/dev/sdg1) with slackware64 folder declared with no sub-folders as it is located to the main space of the USB drive. Left all default packages to install, and selected full setup. Waited for all packages to install (it took around 7 minutes).

I skipped the creation of a USB Linux Boot Stick and selected simple LiLo installation (automatic). Selected standard Linux console and no optional append. Answered not to use UTF-8 text console and chose root patition as destination for LiLo (tried also with MBR but got the same result). Got this error message:

i49.tinypic.com/4tswep.jpg

Searched around for solutions as it seems to be a common error, but I still wasn't able to solve it.

Continued with mouse and GPM configuration and skipped network configuration. Left all default startup services to run, skipped custom fonts and adjusted hardware clock. Chose Fluxbox window manager and set root password. Closed setup program, restarted, logged in into Windows and opened EasyBCD to make the following changes: Added a LILO/eLILO option named "Slackware", pointing to partition 3 (the one on which I had installed Slackware, obviously). Restarted and selected it. I only get my system rebooted again...

Any ideas?

Linux Guru
    http://i49.tinypic.com/4tswep.jpg

error message shows that monitor cannot accept a splash screen. I boot my old boxes via text mode instead of splash screen in AntiX. Not sure about the partition table error either.

Figured since I could post links. I would post your error screen for other slackware members on the forum to see with your post.

Fatal error about fix table or ignore table seems the culprit here.

Thanks man! As for the video problem, is actually very strange, as I remember having installed the basic text-only console even if the setup process told me my laptop was compatible with the more advanced VESA with 256 colors.

Then, I've read about the partition table skip instruction to include to LiLo setup file, but I couldn't make it work as I probably put it in a wrong line, not knowing exactly where in the file I should paste it. Elseway, is there an easy way to install grub legacy or grub2 on the already installed Slack, even if I can't boot it? Must it be done from another Linux installation, or can I use Windows too?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    install grub legacy or grub2 on the already installed Slack
    I'm not Slackware savvy. So other members may chime in here. But if me. I would look into using

start

which comes with supergrubdisk and I keep a disk like this on hand like a wrench in a toolbox. It can pretty much repair any snafued install with the tools provided. Read up a little on it I guess.

programs

Edit: Just for info. Some other discs I burn are from this guy also.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/exton-defender/

http://extonlinux.wordpress.com/