Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Did you create a /boot or make a partition bootable when you installed linux? and did you use the MBR option during the install?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Did you create a /boot or make a partition bootable when you installed linux?
    and did you use the MBR option during the install?
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

Just Joined!

Boot Disk

That's the thing, I dont know, when I was intalling Linux, it ask me if I want to create a boot disk, and I did, I put a 3.5 diskett.

I want that every time that I turn on the pc, have the choice to run XP or linux.

What can I do?
    If I have to install Linux all over againa, i 'll.
    Thankx

I am not talking about a boot disk, but when you made your partitions in Fdisc you would have had to create a /boot or make / bootable it is an option while making your partitions.
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    i installed the other way around had windows first then installed slack. where did you install lilo to you will have to use your boot disk to get back in linux then configure and install lilo again to the mbr then add the stuff in lilo to boot to windows create a boot disk for windows as well before you install lilo to the mbr. or at least that would be my approach.
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

Quote Originally Posted by carlosponti
    i installed the other way around had windows first then installed slack.
    That is the way to do it.
    Say you have a 40 gig drive format 20g for windows leave the other 20 alone
    install windows first on the first 20. Then after windows is installed and all the updates-2days later then partition the last 20 gigs something like
    example

/ 3g bootable
    /user 6g
    /var 2g
    swap 1024m
    /home fill to capacity

Then during the install the os will format the partitions and install the packages you select. I usually pick complete. then when it gets done it asks something about lilo I usually pick simple I think then it asks to writed to mbr and I say yes then after a few more questions it reboots then should ask what OS do you want to log into.

Mike
    -- Linus Torvalds

i went thru a much more complicated route i installed windows and didnt install ANY updates because i only wanted to do that once amonst two days. then installed linux on a 20 gb partition installed lilo to the superblock and went into linux and created the disk with the lilo pointer back to linux then into windows to edit the windows bootloader to point to that and had both working though i have two loaders windows and linux and have to select on both to go to linux.
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

Whatever works for you. That does seem like a long way to get to the end. But again whatever works.

Mike
    -- Linus Torvalds

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2