Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm in the process of setting up a webserver, and a problem with SSH has me puzzled: when I try to log in through SSH from the outside world it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

SSH on 13.37

I'm in the process of setting up a webserver, and a problem with SSH has me puzzled: when I try to log in through SSH from the outside world it asks me for a password, and when I enter a password it refuses to let me in.

Password login works internally from another computer on the network, but not on connections to the external IP. My router is configured to forward port 22 to the server, and I know this is working as it wouldn't ask me for a password otherwise.

I've verified that the connection is being made to the correct machine with tcpdump, and running the SSH client verbosely reveals nothing. I know that the password is correct as I copied and pasted it to be sure, and it does this for all users including root.

I think that this is either a bug in SSH or something is malforming the password data. Does anyone have any knowledge of this kind of problem?

Well, after looking at the problem properly without being in a rush to get to work, I've discovered that this was a classic case of user error. I set up a key on the server in question, and when I ssh'd from a local machine it worked, and when I ssh'd to the external domain it asked for a password. I thought this was a bit strange; "it's almost as if I'm connecting to a different machine", I thought, and sure enough I was: the router -- for whatever reason -- was still forwarding port 22 to my personal computer. I don't know how I made such a rookie mistake.