Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I have issue when I am trying to install bluefish 2.2.3 on the latest Slackware 14.0 (with custom kernel 3.2.29). Basically I downloaded the Bluefish 2.2.3 tar file ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Error in Installing bluefish 2.2.3 on Slackware 14.0 (kernel 3.2.29)

Hi all,

I have issue when I am trying to install bluefish 2.2.3 on the latest Slackware 14.0 (with custom kernel 3.2.29). Basically I downloaded the Bluefish 2.2.3 tar file and after untar it I did ./configure and make, however the make failed with the following error:

Code:
    make[5]: Entering directory `/root/bluefish-2.2.3/src/plugin_about'
    /bin/sh ../../libtool --tag=CC   --mode=compile gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DLOCALEDIR=\"/usr/local/share/locale\" -DPKGDATADIR=\"/usr/local/share/bluefish\" -I. -I../../src     -g -O2 -Wall -pipe -I/usr/include/python2.7   -MT about.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/about.Tpo -c -o about.lo about.c
    libtool: compile:  gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DLOCALEDIR=\"/usr/local/share/locale\" -DPKGDATADIR=\"/usr/local/share/bluefish\" -I. -I../../src -g -O2 -Wall -pipe -I/usr/include/python2.7 -MT about.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/about.Tpo -c about.c  -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/about.o
    about.c:22:21: fatal error: gmodule.h: No such file or directory
    compilation terminated.
    I have installed both glib-1.2.10 and glib2-2.32-4 so the gmodule.h exist in both /usr/include/glib-1.2 and /usr/include/glib-2.0 but somehow the compile command cannot find them. If I manually copy one of the gmodule.h to /usr/include, it seemed that the compiler could find it but it again stuck at some other missing header ( I think it was glib.h) So I don't think keep copying header files into /usr/include is the right solution here. So what am I missing here ? Is it the problem on my slackware system configuration ? or is it something wrong with the directive on the make file ? This is the first time I try to compile anything on this brand new slackware 14.0.

Thanks

Linux Guru
    When compiling something that "depends" on other software to compile, you generally need the development packages for that software - IE, the glib-dev and glib2-dev packages.

Just Joined!
    @HROAdmin26, I do not think there is any 'development' package for slackware distro. I search the slackware com there is no 'dev' package such as glib2-dev etc.

Thanks

Just Joined!
    Hi

Here is the update of the problem. I tried to compile the application under a different slackware version (13.37) and found it went through OK. When I compare the gcc command that causes the error, here is the difference:

didn't work
    Code:
    make[5]: Entering directory `/root/bluefish-2.0.3/src/plugin_about'
    /bin/sh ../../libtool --tag=CC   --mode=compile gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DLOCALEDIR=\"/usr/local/share/locale\" -DPKGDATADIR=\"/usr/local/share/bluefish\" -I. -I../../src     -g -O2 -Wall -pipe   -MT about.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/about.Tpo -c -o about.lo about.c
    libtool: compile:  gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DLOCALEDIR=\"/usr/local/share/locale\" -DPKGDATADIR=\"/usr/local/share/bluefish\" -I. -I../../src -g -O2 -Wall -pipe -MT about.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/about.Tpo -c about.c  -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/about.o
    about.c:21:21: fatal error: gmodule.h: No such file or directory
    compilation terminated.
    worked
    Code:
    make[5]: Entering directory `/root/bluefish-2.0.3/src/plugin_about'
    /bin/sh ../../libtool --tag=CC   --mode=compile gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DLOCALEDIR=
    \"/usr/local/share/locale\" -DPKGDATADIR=\"/usr/local/share/bluefish\" -I. -I../
    ../src     -g -O2 -Wall -pipe -pthread -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/lib/gtk-2.0
    /include -I/usr/include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/gdk-pixbuf-2
    .0 -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include
    -I/usr/include/pixman-1 -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/libpng14 -I/usr/
    include/gio-unix-2.0/ -I/usr/include/libxml2 -I/usr/include/enchant    -MT about
    .lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/about.Tpo -c -o about.lo about.c
    You can notice that on the command gcc that is issued, the one that works has lots of include directive to all the dependent package subdirectories under the /usr/include. While on the one that stuck it has no additional -I directive and it was the reason why it cannot find the gmodule.h

So I think there is something amiss in either when I was doing ./configure or when running the make process itself.
    Can someone please help me in pointing out in direction should I looking to find the solution of this problem ? I am really lost when it got to all this C code compilation business..

Thanks

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Back when I used Slackware, I used Slackbuilds for all my compilation. What you get at the end of it is a package that you can install. If you grab the one for version 14 it should be correctly configured. I found these a lot simpler than the standard configure, make and make install.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent