Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hiya All slackers! My question is if its possible to make a Recovery partition, like the windows System Image that puts everything to factory defult. Some kinda Recovery disk or ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Recover/System Imgage Partition?

Hiya All slackers!
    My question is if its possible to make a Recovery partition, like the windows System Image that puts everything to factory defult.
    Some kinda Recovery disk or DVD.
    Its it possible to make on Slackware 14 64bit?

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello

Clonezilla should do what you want:

http://clonezilla.org/clonezilla-live.php

I'd recommend running it from a live CD, such as the Clonezilla Live CD linked above, or the Parted Magic Live CD linked below:

http://partedmagic.com/

With either one, you can create a system image right after the initial Linux install, then restore your system from the image when you've borked the system to the point you want it replaced.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Thanks bro, awsome!

oz
    forum.guy
    Hope that Clonezilla works out for you!

Note that it isn't highly end user intuitive like some apps are, so you should probably do some practice runs to make sure you know how it works before you fully rely on it. I've used it lots of times and it has never failed to create a proper system image, nor has it failed to properly restore that image. The main thing is to take your time with it, and think out the options that it is offering you. Once you get a feel for that, it all starts to make sense and becomes quite usable. You can pretty much speed through the process at that point.

I personally run it from the Parted Magic LiveCD because of all the other great utilities that reside on the same liveCD.
    oz