Find the answer to your Linux question:

Thread: Move Swap

Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Move Swap

i have an experiment i want to try with moving swap to another spare drive how would i move where my system looks for swap.

basically here is what i want to do:

i have a dual boot slackware and windows 2000 i am going to install a small drive and create a small partition for both windows swap and linux swap. now this can be a discussion area too because i would like people's opinions whether on both windows and linux whether this would make any difference in performance? i am still going to try doing this as an experiment however i am curious of what other people think that are more experienced with linux.
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

Linux Engineer
    Create a partition, give it a swap id, run 'mkswap', do 'swapon'.
    and/or
    Delete a swap partition.

You can also create a swapfile, e.g from the man page:
    dd if=/dev/zero of=swapfile bs=1024 count=65536
    and then initialize it.

Repartioning a working system can be tricky, though. If you've got enough RAM, swap's not generally an issue, really. I don't 'manage' mine at all - it's just there at need but I basically forget it's there.

If you've got extra space you can have more than one partition, though, so you might just add to rather than delete or resize.

Anyway - the relevant man pages (fdisk, cfdisk, mkswap, swapon, and so on) have lots of information.

also, you could always... (I just though about this, and it might not work) create a swap partition where ever you feel like creating it, and change the location in your FSTAB!!! on second thought, that is probably the fastest way to do it... but I didnt test it
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Also make sure that you change/add your /etc/fstab entries for where your swap partition is located.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by UgoDeschamps
    create a swap partition where ever you feel like creating it, and change the location in your FSTAB!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by sarumont
    Also make sure that you change/add your /etc/fstab entries for where your swap partition is located.
    Didn't I say so just playing
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

hello
    basically its no matter where your swap lies, but keeping it in the current drive will reduce propagation time.

use fdisk to make/delete swap partition.
    make sure you update your swap entry in /etc/fstab (just change the "/dev/hda"...others will remain the way they are.

hello
    basically its no matter where your swap lies, but keeping it in the current drive will reduce propagation time.

use fdisk to make/delete swap partition.
    make sure you update your swap entry in /etc/fstab (just change the "/dev/hda"...others will remain the way they are.

mainly the experiment is for windows because i run games on windows and pretty much everything else on linux. i am just a normal user pretty much. the thing is is windows swap is inherently crappy and i am try this experiment to isolate the swap in windows to see if i get a better performace out of it and to not getting a fragmented swap problem. i just decided to do the same with linux because i am still learning and i need to find stuff to do to gain more knowledge. it may be something if successful on the windows side i do when installing all windows systems is isolate the swap and hide it from the user.
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557