Find the answer to your Linux question:
Slackware seems to have found the sound card and loaded the modules for it. But I cannot find hear sound out of my laptop. I have it dual booted w/ ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

dell inspiron 1000 sound

Slackware seems to have found the sound card and loaded the modules for it. But I cannot find hear sound out of my laptop. I have it dual booted w/ xp and know the sound works. When I load gxine it plays the mp3 out off of the cd but no sounds. It states esd sound daemon is running.

Any hints. I have turned up the sound under sound applets, sound icon, withing apps (gxine), etc.. anybody got a good troubleshooting tutorial for this. I'd like to fix this because I want to use slackware more.

Slackware is funny with sound I think everybody that put Slack on a laptop had issues (including me).

here is a couple ideas
    first
    by default the mixer sound is muted (don't know why) Try and configure mixer.
    another problem in slackware is oss and alsa fight. Use the alsa
    check the configs of what you are trying to use xine, xmms etc

Sometimes by default they are set to oss if so change to alsa and that usually fixes it.

another issue is if your laptop has intel integrated modem and sound they usually conflict and if you add the modem to the blacklist that will fix it too

ie intel8x0m and intel8x0
    do a lsmod to check that

these are things to start with.

Mike
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

Linux Newbie

sound

it seems that when I perform a lsmod - it shows what modules are loaded, but the sound modules do not have irqs assigned to them or resources. Perhaps it was another command i ran, anyway. How do I configure resources in slackware, such as asssinging irqs. It may be that these are conflicting.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie

alsaconfig works like a charm

Hey all!, thanks again. Im chalking another point for the slackware crew!!
    I was able to configure my soundcard using alsaconfig - it went through a mini wizard and configured the soundcard. Thanks again!!