Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hey all, IM BACK! I see a lot of people rocking the newest kernel, the default kernel for slackware 10 is 2.4, I did see kernel 2.6 on the cd. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

kernel 2.6

Hey all, IM BACK! I see a lot of people rocking the newest kernel, the default kernel for slackware 10 is 2.4, I did see kernel 2.6 on the cd. My question is. How do I go about installing the newest kernel on my laptop. I have an inspiron 1000. Perhaps Slackware has a utility or I'll have to unzip it and compile it. Bottom line is I dont know how. Anybody got a good tutorial on how too?

Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

2.6.7 isn't exactly the latest kernel 2.6.10 is the latest 2.6 kernel, 2.4.28 the latest 2.4 kernel at the moment. If you do not have a good reason to upgrade to 2.6 kernel I would not advice you to upgrade to a 2.6 kernel, because there are still issues with it.

But if you still want to upgrade to 2.6 kernel grab the latest vanilla source on http://kernel.org and compile it from scratch using a HOWTO.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by puntmuts
    If you do not have a good reason to upgrade to 2.6 kernel I would not advice you to upgrade to a 2.6 kernel, because there are still issues with it.
    There are still issues with the 2.4 kernel too. Like problems with ALSA. 2.6 for all intensive purposes is completely stable and reliable while adding functionality the 2.4 kernel cannot deliver.

Use the 2.6 kernel if you don't have a specific reason to. Use the 2.4 kernel if you know you have to use it for compatibility.
    Taking a walk on the wonderful path computers have lain before me

There are issues with the 2.4 kernel as well, sure. But every new version of the 2.6 kernel there seems to be new 'suprises' .

The handling of suid programs comes to mind, the failure of alsa with my sblive card in earlier 2.6 kernels, the lack of support of my ATARAID controller are a few others where I can think of (3c59x driver in 2.6.10 ? ) .

So if you're not an experienced user I would advice to use the kernel which was delivered and tested with the Slackware version and not to experiment with the 2.6 kernel.

Linux Newbie

THANKS ALL!!

Hello again, thanks to your help I have been able to upgrade to kernel 2.6.10, although I had no reason to do so other than bragging rights. Im happy. I believe that as a linux admin its an essential skill to have. Thank you all for your help.

Let me know if you notice any speed difference. rumor has it that its makes it faster. I compiled to 2.6.8 but lost network and couldn't get it to work so I went back to the 2.4. In my defense I did it on a laptop with an internal nic. After about 15 tries I gave up. Everything works so I am fine with it.

Good Job
    Mike
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

Linux Newbie

lost nic

well, I lost my nic too. I ran netconfig and it did not prompt me for ip address changes only hostname and domain. I want to get the wireless portion running working on it - but it have a d-link 650w which is a pice of sh, do you think netgear will run? I can get one of those for 20$.

Just Joined!
    Well, I have 2.6.9 kernel, at the beggining I had a problem too - I couldn't see my card, but if You look at the kernel configuration and match your netcard (try to install it as module), no problems would accur. I'm with ACER laptop. :P

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast