Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello forum, I beg for help in desperation. After adding and removing pckgs using pkgtool, i restarted the computer to find out that my slackware 14 didn't start. During boot, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Slackware 14 won't start after adding/removing pckgs

Hello forum,

I beg for help in desperation.

After adding and removing pckgs using pkgtool, i restarted the computer to find out that my slackware 14 didn't start. During boot, it returned this msg:
    Code:
    /sbin/fsck: error while loading shared libraries:libblkid.so.1 : cannot open shared object
    (first time I see this error, at least in my box, in about 10yrs of using slackware). This file should be in the Slackware 14 CD, i believe.

The error msg allows me to log in in single-use mode (root) to fix the problem but when I try to mount any drive, partition or usb key it returns: 'mount command not found'.

Browsing around I found that reinstalling the pckg e2fsprogs-1.35-i486-1 should fix the problem, however I have no way to get to slack console or terminal. It just doesn't boot.

I have managed to recover some of the life-important info on one of the partition by accessing it with another Distro Live CD version. But when I try to retrieve the other half of such data which was backed up on a different partition the Live CD won't let me.

I really dont care whether I will need to reinstall the entire system, as long as I get the data first (unfortunately , about 3mnths work with no other back up copies).

Could anyone tell me how to, if possible, install a package without actually having access to your root partition? I don't have another pc to do it through a network.
    If not possible, could anyone tell me if there is a way to retrieve data from an umountable partition?

I would really really really appreciate any suggestions, as I am banging my head around the house in desperation and frustrations.

Regards,
    Last edited by however; 04-10-2013 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Solved

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    If you boot from a live slackware CD and then chroot into your install, you should be able to install software as if it is running. If nothing else, the live CD should at least allow you rescue your data!

chroot on the Arch wiki
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Just Joined!
    Solved!

HI,

I have solved the problem! After an all-night stander, I managed to retrieve all my data and even rescue the system without reinstalling from scratch.

I used the Slackware installation CD, as suggested, and managed to mount the partition, chroot into my install and repair the packages from '/dev/cdrom/slackware/a' which contain the Linux Base (util-linux).

Tip: I had to run the full Installation script again (especially the Lilo part) after the repair or the system would completely halt at reboot.

Thank you very much for your input.

Regards,

p.s.: I can't find where/how to mark this post as solved.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Thanks for posting your solution.

You can mark the thread solved from the "Thread Tools" menu in the darker blue bar directly above the first post. This will also close the thread.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent