Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am trying to get my machine that I installed Slackware 14 onto connected to my internet via ethernet cable. I am new to almost all thing Linux so I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Connecting Slackware 14 to the internet via ethernet

I am trying to get my machine that I installed Slackware 14 onto connected to my internet via ethernet cable. I am new to almost all thing Linux so I do not know the needed outputs but I can provide them if necessary.

Trusted Penguin
    Hi,
    I've moved your post to the Slackware forum. Hopefully, you'll get some more looks there.

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormeyes View Post
    I am trying to get my machine that I installed Slackware 14 onto connected to my internet via ethernet cable. I am new to almost all thing Linux so I do not know the needed outputs but I can provide them if necessary.
    I don't hav a slackware box, but I can offer some generic suggestions:

1. have you checked your physical cable connection b/t the PC and the router/modem/whatever? Is there an LED link light on both sides?

2. is your PC supposed to get an IP address assigned to you? If you don't know, then probably yes. To what is the PC connecting?

3. show current state of network config:
    Code:
    ifconfig
    Code:
    route -n
    Code:
    cat /etc/resolv.conf

Just Joined!
    I just did a brand-new Slackware 14 install, and haven't had any problem connecting to the Internet with it (other than a browser issue described elsewhere). On the other hand, I've been messing with network stuff for a while (mostly in Windows, but I also recently did a Debian install), and I'm sure that helped me a lot.

Anyway, during the install process of Slackware, there was an opportunity to configure some network stuff. I doubt very much your Ethernet is directly connected to the Internet; you almost certainly have an intermediary device somewhere (such as, perhaps, a cable modem or a DSL modem). In this case your "network" consists, at the very least, of the connection between your computer and that intermediary device, and that device has an IP (IPv4) address, possibly 192.168.0.1 --the 192.168 block is reserved for such things as home networks, and you need to know what is the address of that device (the commands mentioned in the previous post might reveal it).

I've noticed that certain sections of the overall install process, for Slackware, could be invoked from the command line. At the moment I don't know what the command is, to re-invoke the network-configuration process; perhaps someone else here knows. You may be able to re-invoke it from the original setup menu, but you might instead find yourself reinstalling everything, so be careful. Anyway, once you are in that configuration utility, I recommend you specify that you want to give the computer a fixed IP address. Of the 4 numbers in an IP address, you want to keep the first three numbers the same. If the IP address of the intermediary device is 192.168.0.1, then you want to copy the first three parts to your computer's IP address: 192.168.0. The last number must be different, and can be anything from 2 to 254. This is the most important part of getting the two machines to communicate; they will "know" they are part of the same network.

The next configuration item is called the "Mask". For any home network the set of Mask numbers are always 255.255.255.0. Use them.

The next configuration item is the "Gateway". This is the number of that intermediary device. Here you are simply informing your computer that that other device is the Gateway to the Internet.

The last configuration item you need to do something about is for "DNS resolution". A Domain Name Server is a computer on the Internet, to which you can send a Web address such as linuxforums.org, and that Name will be resolved into a set of numbers, the actual IPv4 address of the web site. Your Internet Service Provider can recommend what numbers to use for DNS resolution. For example Cox Communications in Virginia uses 68.105.28.16 --your own ISP very likely has a different IPv4 address designated for that purpose.

Once the configuration is done, you may be able to immediately connect to the Internet. Good Luck!

Just Joined!
    I had no problems either connecting to the internet on Slack 14.0, what you might want try to do is run

Code:
    netconfig
    again in a terminal as root to see if that will help.