Find the answer to your Linux question:
I spent an enormoously long time downloading Ardour and all its dependencies (jack ui thingy wanted QT, which was huge) - but after all that, it errors out reporting "illegal ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Can you suggest a DAW for slacko 5.4 ??

I spent an enormoously long time downloading Ardour and all its dependencies (jack ui thingy wanted QT, which was huge) - but after all that, it errors out reporting "illegal instruction".

Does anyone know of a simple DAW multitrack recorder that runs on slacko puppy? I have extremely low-spec machine ( celeron 500Mhz, 384M ram...)

TIA!

Good luck but I doubt it for Slack0 5.4

Puppy Google Search

Puppy Linux Discussion Forum :: View topic - Ardour, jack, lv2 plugins, jamin, pd

You think you might have installed the wrong Slack0 for what you want to do.

Puppy Linux Discussion Forum :: View topic - Studio 13.37 is out!

The guy who built the above iso is kind of a persona no grata on puppy forums "search 10wt3ch " in the Puppy search link. He built a earlier version that some members at murga have
    stored a iso and you can download for free.

Found one thread that explains what I mean.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=65480

I'd check all 22 pages If I was you in case some one is mirroring a iso like you need.

http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Syste...io-58784.shtml
    Last edited by rokytnji; 04-26-2013 at 02:18 AM.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    Thanks muchly, Rokytnji!

I only installed slacko puppy 5.4 as it was the only distro i had handy on CD. Now that I have it working, I suppose I can download other distros to the hard drive and install them from there?
    I'm pretty new to linux... I had downloaded UbuntuStudio recently (have it on DVD now) but lo and behold, this little celeron box only has a CD - no DVD!
    So I figured I would give the slacko CD that I had a try... I looked up 'Ardour' specs and it claims it can run with as little as 256M of RAM...

live n learn! I have a lot more research to do, obviously!

I suppose I can download other distros to the hard drive and install them from there?
    Being new to linux and Puppy. No on that. You need to md5sum check download iso first for integrity like so in Slack0

Code:
    harry@biker:~
    $ cd /home/harry/isos
    harry@biker:~/isos
    $ ls
    AntiX_6.5  Puppy
    harry@biker:~/isos
    $ cd Puppy
    harry@biker:~/isos/Puppy
    $ ls
    214X-top10.iso
    harry@biker:~/isos/Puppy
    $ md5sum 214X-top10.iso 
    62ca0cd3b88901f1c5f5cfca3ec662fc  214X-top10.iso

Showing this on my M/C shop AntiX Desktop.

I used cd command to maneuver terminal to sit in the directory which is in home,harry,isos,Puppy first. I use the ls command to see what is inside a directory (directory is the same thing as saying folder). When I have terminal sitting where I wish. I do the md5sum check. This makes sure I have no head aches later when I burn the iso to cd as a image and boot that cd to install Puppy
    onto a older box. A reinstall for the Slack0 you have I would suggest till you learn a little more and can handle a dual boot Puppy setup on 2 different partitions with a grub4dos bootloader on the mbr.

It's not real hard to learn if you have the time and inclination . HTH
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Shucks, look at what got posted today. It will probably work just fine if you install jack in Slack0.

Puppy Linux Discussion Forum :: View topic - Ardour 3 Digital Audio Workstation

I'd book mark that thread and wait and see where it goes. Announcer is the ,member

10wt3ch,lowtech.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    I do have jack 1.9.8 installed (along with all its dependencies). However, being a total linux NOOB, I am not yet sure how to 'run' it (or if I even need to run it, maybe Ardour just calls it...)

It was hard enough just finding /opt in order to run the Ardour 'exe' ( which apparently did NOTHING) - and then ran the corresponding sh script in terminal, and saw the "illegal instruction" error message there.
    (the error message comes up right after the 4th script line: "Loading user UI configuration file")

I still haven't had time to RTFM, so I don't even know how to make a menu shortcut or desktop shortcut yet [insert blushing emoticon here]

Anyway, I'm gonna try the sfs suggested in that other thread, thanks!

desktop shortcut yet
    That puppy search link I gave you is RTFM. It is going to save you time learning Slack0.

Quick tip. Drag and drop executable file to desktop from rox file manager. After it sticks. Right click to find and set icon you want for it. Hint /usr/share/icons or /usr/share/pixmaps.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    Hmmm... I uninstalled the previous Ardour, and installed the new sfs package.
    It apparently installed OK, but when i run "ardour" from the multimedia menu - Nothing happens! Not even a blip on the CPU meter ( or whatever that little red thing is in the tray next to the clock)
    Is there a system logfile somewhere that I can go looking for clues in? I dont get any obvious clues from the Ctrl-Alt-Del processes window... ( I have tried leaving it open and then launched the app)

TIA...

Try

Code:
    dmesg | tail
    Log files are in /var.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home