Find the answer to your Linux question:
(Disclaimer: I apologize ahead of time, because I know Linux laptop compatibility is widely documented, so this smacks a bit of "I didn't do my research". However, when searching for ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Soliciting a Linux Laptop Recommendation

(Disclaimer: I apologize ahead of time, because I know Linux laptop compatibility is widely documented, so this smacks a bit of "I didn't do my research". However, when searching for an answer to this question I've been overwhelmed. There's information overload when visiting sites like linux-laptop.net. I'm looking more for specific direction, based on people's personal experiences...e.g. "I bought this laptop and it worked great.")

The setup:

I've been using Slackware for about 10 years, but as of about 6 years ago I switched to Mac OS as my primary laptop, with Slackware being relegated to server boxes and a media box connected to my TV.

I'm now curious to buy a new Laptop on which to run Slackware 14 (and beyond). I'd like to toy around with Linux development and get a sense for the state of the OS, as well as perhaps contribute to KDE or build some toy apps. I've toyed with VMWare and Parallels some, but the experience is just not the same as living on a dedicated Slackware machine. I'm also concerned about the security of both Mac OS and Windows and would like to own a system that I'm comfortable is reasonably unbreakable. Finally, my Mac laptop is company-provided, and I'd like to have a machine that's clearly my own, with my own data (strongly encrypted via peer-reviewed code, as opposed to something like FileVault).

I know there are a plethora of Ubuntu-preloaded vendors like System76. I've considered going that route if I need to, but it seems like there might be cheaper / cooler options if I buy something more generic.

Key things I'm looking for:

(1) Relatively low cost ($1000 at most). Compiling is likely to be the most intensive thing I'll do. I'm not interested in crazy graphics support. It'd be nice to be able to toy around with games, but that's not required.

(2) I'd like a system that will work "out of the box." I don't want to have to round up a bunch of 3rd party, potentially binary-only drivers, in order to get basic things like wireless networking working (the last time I tried to blindly put Linux on a machine that was designed for Windows, I was surprised by things like having to download binary drivers and ndiswrapper just to get something as simple as networking up and running). I want trackpad, keyboard, wireless / wired networking, 2D graphics, etc. all working out of the box.

(3) It would be nice to have build quality that's sturdy and aesthetically appealing.

(4) I need something relatively portable, with good battery life (e.g. a few hours without a charge). I don't want a machine that's basically a portable desktop that drains in 30 minutes.

Basically I am looking for the "Mac experience" in a Linux machine. I want to install Slackware and have basically everything driver-wise (except maybe 3D graphics) just work, right out of the box. Having said that, I know at the end of the day it's Slackware, and I am totally fine with customizations and tweaks to get things running optimally smooth.

So, do you guys have any specific recommendations / success stories? Are System76 / Zareason really the best routes to take if I want this kind of experience? Or are there other vendors that have good Linux support? I like companies like Asus, but I have been a bit burned in the past by their lack of out-of-the-box Linux compatibility.

Any ideas?

Just Joined!
    I should note that I posted this here, instead of the hardware forums, because I am specifically interested in compatibility with Slackware.

Also, the Zareason UltraLap 430 (I'm unable to post the link) looks along the lines of what I'd be interested in.

Linux Engineer
    I recently bought an ASUS laptop for $350. It's running an AMD A8-4500M. It has plenty of CPU and GPU to handle everyday tasks, including running one or more VMs through KVM. It runs Fedora 18 out of the box, no 3rd party software required. Fedora is very meticulous about including only FOSS in their releases, so chances are you should be able to run just about any distro.

Modern PCs have so much computing power there's no real reason to spend $1k on a laptop any more.

The Samsung RV510 I bought as a managers special for $199.00 from my local Rent a Center runs Mint 13 Mate with no tweaks what so ever. Elija convinced me to try Mint since I usually load AntiX.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home