Find the answer to your Linux question:
After all my searching, I've found more information about macros than I'll ever need to know, but I still haven't found what I'm looking for. Basically, I'd like to create ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Keystroke macro question..

After all my searching, I've found more information about macros than I'll ever need to know, but I still haven't found what I'm looking for.

Basically, I'd like to create a global keystroke combination (Alt+Ctrl+E+R for example), that will execute a system command regardless of what I happen to be doing.

It's like this; every now and again the display on my laptop will fart out on me, and all I can see is a bunch of white lines and a large black square where the mouse pointer is. The only way to get my display back quickly is to reboot, and just hitting the power button is no good for the system. So, I'd like to be able to hit Alt+Ctrl+E+R and have it execute the reboot -n command.

Can anyone help me with this?

Linux Guru
    Keyboard shortcuts are usually a function of the desktop environment. What environment are you using?

As for the display issue. You might check that your monitor cable is secure and in all the way. If so you could try turning off the computer, opening it up and reseating your video card.

Just Joined!
    I'm using KDE.

There isn't much I can do about the problem being that it's on my laptop. I've had the thing open several times and everything checks out okay. Plus, it's a ThinkPad R40. I've spent enough money on parts for this ancient thing; the motherboard and display are where I draw the line.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Have you tried killing the X-server and dropping back to a terminal, from there you could restart X or init 0 and shutdown.

How to Enable Key sequence Ctrl+Alt+Backspace to kill XServer On Ubuntu 11.10 | Ubuntu Portal