Find the answer to your Linux question:
Just installed Slackware 14.1 32bit on a new machine. (I tried 64 bit first, which worked fine, but I had problem getting drivers for a usb wifi dongle as they ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Unresponsive USB keyboard upon installation

Just installed Slackware 14.1 32bit on a new machine. (I tried 64 bit first, which worked fine, but I had problem getting drivers for a usb wifi dongle as they had 32bit specific code).

During the installation process the keyboard worked fine after selecting 'Qwerty.uk'. But once the install completed and I rebooted into the command line login, the keyboard was completely unresponsive, even pressing the 'numlk' would not cause the number lock led to come on.

I reinstalled a second time and same problem. Keyboard worked during install but became unresponsive after install. Anyone got any ideas what can cause this? And what I can do about it?

I've an older version of the Slackware install CD (13.1) on download now, and if I can find nothing else I'll install that and try and upgrade from there. But if there is a simpler solution I'd very much appreciate it.

P.S. This is my first time installing Slackware. My previous linux experience has been Mandrake, SuSe, Debian, Ubuntu, Xubuntu and Mint XFCE.

This a desktop computer, are you using the USB ports in the front of the computer, try switching to USB port in the back, they get more power.

I've never used Slackware but there are some people here that do, so they will should have suggestions for you.
    A lion does not lose sleep, over the opinion of sheep.

Linux Guru
    I believe during installation the keyboard map is set for the console only - you probably need to set it up for XWindows.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Though I don't run Slackware. I always hear from full time Slackware users that for new users to use the large kernel and use the Full install DVD install procedure.

slackware:install - SlackDocs

http://docs.slackware.com/_media/sla...install_cl.png

Edit: Also after install. To make your slackware experience more painless. Just borrowing links.

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...o-next-644746/

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...ll-4175507554/

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...es-4175507810/

Good luck with it. Happy Trails, Rok

Just Joined!
    The login prompt is on the command line. XWindows would presumably only load after I logged in and entered 'startx' at the prompt. The issue I'm having is therefore in the console after install.

Just Joined!
    I did select the full install, albeit I installed from a USB stick loaded with an image of the Slackware 14.1 install DVD 1.

I didn't have much luck with AlienBobs scripts for this, but I eventually got the isohybrid method working.

The entire install process worked a treat, said it was completed and asked me to reboot. So I removed the usb install stick and rebooted. Then the keyboard would not respond at the console login prompt. As a result I'm kind of stuck, as without being able to login or use the keyboard, there isn't much that can be done!

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentM View Post
    I did select the full install, albeit I installed from a USB stick loaded with an image of the Slackware 14.1 install DVD 1.

I didn't have much luck with AlienBobs scripts for this, but I eventually got the isohybrid method working.

The entire install process worked a treat, said it was completed and asked me to reboot. So I removed the usb install stick and rebooted. Then the keyboard would not respond at the console login prompt. As a result I'm kind of stuck, as without being able to login or use the keyboard, there isn't much that can be done!
    Ok. Maybe this won't help you. But. I scrounge at Goodwill and Salvation Army for old PS2 keyboards for situations like this (cost is like 2 or 3 dollars). I sometimes get lucky and find these for like 50 cents.

So