Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
You should be able to. Slackbuild says all their scripts work on the latest version of Slack - they may work on older versions as well....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

You should be able to. Slackbuild says all their scripts work on the latest version of Slack - they may work on older versions as well.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    I don't know if it would work; maybe it would be OK if the versions of libraries and so on that it needs haven't changed. Back when I was running Slackware I never needed to find out.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

Just Joined!
    I tried using the source from 10.2 with the latest SlackBuilds .
    It didn't work. But 12.4 compiled up just fine.
    Seems that maybe u have to use latest software afterall??

Ted Gervais , On my galaxy S5

It's usually better to run the latest stable release of software; more bugs fixed, security patches and features etc. Is there any reason you need 10.2? You may be able to modify the slackbuild script to handle it if so.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?

The Fifth Continent

Just Joined!
    Elijah
    I was wanting to go with an older version because of memory problems. The older versions used less memory so thought that was a plan
    Computer is very old . Like me. And while I should get another new one, I just hate to throw this one out.
    Funny thing though, the latest version of stellarium worked fine on this computer with Ubuntu???

Does Slackware run KDE by default? If so then it is running one of the more memory intensive desktops out there. People do knock Unity but the later versions are a lot lighter than the older ones. The same can be said for KDE of course but given that it is Slackware and it's focus is stability it is likely to have an older build of KDE.

A couple of good Slackware derivatives that are both quite light are Salix and Vector Linux. Of those I would choose Salix Xfce edition. Of course there is nothing to stop you installing a lighter desktop such as Xfce on Slackware. If you want to see how much memory your desktop is taking up then reboot and in a terminal run free -m and it may surprise you!

If you are not committed to Slackware then a few very light alternatives to consider are:

Bodhi Linux: Based on Ubuntu it has the extremely light and very blingy Enlightenment Window Manager
    Crunchbang: Based on Debian Stable it uses openbox and looks a lot more intimidating at first glance. It isn't too bad if you have had success with Slackware.

There are others out there but I quite like those two. And of course they have the advantage of huge software repositories.

I don't know if you are a "winfugee" with a computer that ran XP, but in such a case, I would normally recommend Linux Mint Xfce (version 17 is just around the corner but the release candidate seems to work just fine on my play rig). If you've gone for Slackware though, you are probably not a normal winfugee.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?

The Fifth Continent

Just Joined!
    Elijah
    Well, I not a windows fan and haven't been for years. But rather an Os2 or Linux enthusiast.
    Also Slackware is what I first started with many years ago but drifted away to rehab and now Ubuntu.
    But I have come back to Slackware which remains my favorite but I am still trying to do all my stuff on the original old computer.
    The old computer is my problem along with my memory.
    You have to know that when I started all this computer stuff to never even had a hard drive. So things have really advanced. I am just trying now to set up a real nice/Slackware operation which I will do soon.
    I will need help and proding as I go along but that is what makes all this fun.

Just Joined!
    Rehab???
    Should be Redhat.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2