Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello everyone. I was trying to install the correct libraries to get vncconfig to work - it complained about libstdc++). Unfortunately, I ended up messing up my system; the Xserver ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Glibc_2.18

Hello everyone.

I was trying to install the correct libraries to get vncconfig to work - it complained about libstdc++).

Unfortunately, I ended up messing up my system; the Xserver no longer works, and it can't display man pages, among other things.

The error that is given is the following:

/lib64/libc.s0.6: version 'GLIBC_2.18' not found (required by /usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.6

Any ideas what I can do here?

Linux Engineer
    Depends on what you've done. You could try backing out, reverse whatever you've done to the last known good point. Libc for your system can't be messed with. You can, with care and knowledge run multiple versions but your installed OS will depend on the version it and it's software was built with.

I don't use slack but there might be something in here to help you: http://rlworkman.net/howtos/glibc-recovery

Just Joined!
    @gregm Thanks for the reply; I haven't had time to work it out do to work, but I'll let you know how it turns out.

Luckily, I mounted my /home partition separately from the rest of the system so I am hoping that, if worse comes to worse, I can re-install and not have to start fresh. (At least that's the reason why I divided the drive that way - haven't actually seen it work in practice).

Thanks again.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close