Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Okay first off im a complete newbie to the linux world. After problems with lilo pointing windows to the wrong partition I finally got slackware installed along side windows. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

StartX error - Help out a newbie!

Okay first off im a complete newbie to the linux world. After problems with lilo pointing windows to the wrong partition I finally got slackware installed along side windows. I can run, and login to slackware perfect. As I am a windows user I was looking for the quickest way to get back into a windowed environment. After searching through forums I found things about "StartX", I ran StartX in slackware, I recieved an error, something to do with not finding any monitors. I then, after a few more minutes of searching tried xorgconfig. I think my main problem is I do not know what I should be telling xorgconfig about my graphics card/monitor. I would be grateful if someone could give me a step-by-step on how to use xorgconfig and possibly a way I can find out which settings I should be telling it, maybe some sort of windows program will tell me?

__J
    Just Joined!
    look up on the net the specs for your monitor (namely the horizontal and vertical sync ranges). when you get to the monitor setup, enter these ranges and create an identifier for the monitor ( you can just press enter for the default here).

as for the graphics card, what is it? when it ask you if you want to look at the list of cards, say yes and pick which one you want to use. If it's an nvidia or newer ati card, they have proprietary drivers on thier websites.

Just Joined!
    That is my problem, I have no idea what graphics card I have. Is there any way I can find this out? Also all i know about my monitor is that it is a Packard Bell 15" TFT.

My Windows display settings have "Monitor FT500 Packard Bell on RADEON 9200" if that helps anyway...?

Looking at advanced properties I see that i have a 128mb Radeon 9200. Will I need a driver for this?

And for monitor settings all I can see is screen refresh rate, which is 60, 70 or 72 Hertz.

I just randomly pressed a button on my monitor, and got this information which I think is the vertical and horizontal rates: V: 60.1 / H: 48.3K

Linux Engineer
    Well your video card should be a ATI 9200 has it says... now. during the setup of xorg, choose ATI flrgx driver (spelling could be wrong) also, you could dload the proper driver from ati.com and install them, fairly easy to get it working.

Can you post your output on this command, we may find something that doesnt fit in there...
    Code:
    cat /etc/X11/XF86Config
    if nothing comes, try this
    cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Also if you could give us the exact error your getting that be great
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the help guys. After looking through windows I found all the settings I needed (And just guessed the h and v sync things). I ended up using the ATI Radeon Generic driver thinge.

So now i am able to get into KDE by typeing "startx".
    As there any way to make slackware do this automagically?

Also, I have a USB ASDL modem that I use with windows to access broadband. Any ideas how I can get slackware to work with that...?

One other thing, I have two CD-ROM drives, how do I get slackware to recognise both of them?

Thanks again.

Linux Engineer
    Thanks for the help guys. After looking through windows I found all the settings I needed (And just guessed the h and v sync things). I ended up using the ATI Radeon Generic driver thinge.
    Thats the reason why I asked your XF86Config file

So now i am able to get into KDE by typeing "startx".
    As there any way to make slackware do this automagically?
    You need to edit /etc/inittab and change to
    Code:
    id:5:initdefault:
    Also, I have a USB ASDL modem that I use with windows to access broadband. Any ideas how I can get slackware to work with that...?
    There must be some PPPoE connectoid to create... never used any...

One other thing, I have to CD-ROM drives, how do I get slackware to recognise both of them?
    They are probly already detected, you probly need to mount them... show us your
    Code:
    cat /etc/fstab
    Thanks again.
    No problem
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Just Joined!
    Showing out put to commands is a pain! I can only access the web via a laptop and linux is on my pc. Here it goes anyway:

/dev/hda5 swap
    /dev/hda3 /
    /dev/hda6 /usr
    /dev/hda7 /opt
    /dev/hda8 /home
    /dev/hda2 /win
    /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
    /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy
    devpts /dev/pts
    proc /proc

Linux Engineer
    to mount your cdrom. type in terminal
    Code:
    mount /mnt/cdrom
    and this will mount with the options next to this text (the one in fstab)

Just Joined!
    mount /mnt/cdrom

mount: No medium found

Just Joined!
    I also have a USB printer. Using some imaging program I found out that the scanner part of my printer/scanner/copier is detected and works fine. But it doesnt come up in the printer list.

So thats 2 USB devices that are not detected (as far as i am aware) Any ideas here?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast