Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi guys, I installed Slakware 10.0 as my server just few days ago. I am wondering, how would I go about opening ports for MLDonkey, P2P program I installed. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Opening Port's On Slakware

Hi guys,

I installed Slakware 10.0 as my server just few days ago. I am wondering, how would I go about opening ports for MLDonkey, P2P program I installed. I need to open up port 4080 so that I could connect to it from my other computer. I tried using iptables, though I am not sure how to use it, and I did not get any results. What would I use to open port 4080? I can connect to it just fine from the server its self, but can not from my laptop on the same network. Anything I can read. I am not quite sure which firewall slackware 10 uses?

Thank you,

- Bogdan

I'm not sure that Slack has firewall rules like that by default, but you can check out http://www.netfilter.org for some excellent HOWTOs on IPTables.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Out of the box Slackware doesn't come with any firewall. There are a lot of scripts and packages for creating your own firewall.
    I\'m so tired .....

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by sarumont
    I'm not sure that Slack has firewall rules like that by default, but you can check out http://www.netfilter.org for some excellent HOWTOs on IPTables.
    Indeed. I'm almost certain that by default Slackware does not block any ports. All are allowed.

I could be wrong...
    Ubuntu Jaunty :: Arch Linux (current) :: Acer Aspire 1692WMLi

Just Joined!
    Right. Slackware is one of the few remaing flavors that installs insecure by default. Most folks have gotten on the "secure is default" bandwagon.

Linux Enthusiast
    uh, it comes with the IP tables firewall .. the packages are in n/

Quote Originally Posted by puntmuts
    Out of the box Slackware doesn't come with any firewall. There are a lot of scripts and packages for creating your own firewall.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by kern
    uh, it comes with the IP tables firewall .. the packages are in n/
    I agree. Many services are not enabled by default, this is good. If behind a firewall, and you can trust your intranet, then pretty much anything goes.

Firewalls should be just that - a separate device that does not allow any shell access at all. Remembering to change the default password helps too.

These windows firewalls are a joke. I laugh when people say they are protected by putting a firewall on their pc that they connect to the internet with, thats like locking the door but leaving windows wide open.

As to answer the original post, many of the routers/switches can reroute ports for games. I remember back that IPTables needed port remappers to handle IPMasq internally. The routers should have a port section where you can add the external port request, and then enter the ip of the internal machine to remap the port to. However, with DHCP enabled and the PC using dynamic addresses, make sure you check the leases on dhcp to never expire for your internal PC's. This will always force that PC to always have that IP address, its almost like static addresses, but allows new devices to obtain IP's easily.

Rich

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by x0054
    Hi guys,

I installed Slakware 10.0 as my server just few days ago. I am wondering, how would I go about opening ports for MLDonkey, P2P program I installed. I need to open up port 4080 so that I could connect to it from my other computer. I tried using iptables, though I am not sure how to use it, and I did not get any results. What would I use to open port 4080? I can connect to it just fine from the server its self, but can not from my laptop on the same network. Anything I can read. I am not quite sure which firewall slackware 10 uses?

Thank you,

- Bogdan

Is the port listening for 4080?
    netstat -nl

Start your client to see if its listening or connected:
    netstat -na

4080 is not in /etc/services
    you can add it there for reference

if 4080 is a server, then you may need to add it to the /etc/inetd.conf file, and restart inetd (ps ax|grep inetd then kill -HUP the pid)

Do you have port forwarding enabled on the server?
    /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

If not, try adding this to /etc/rc.local
    echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward