Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question Log into graphical user interface with root

This is the first time I use a linux system...

After the installation I changed inittab to id:4:initdefault: and created a new user. But I can still only use the console log in as root.
    The reason why I need it is that I want to change the method of IPv4 from "manual" to "automatic" to see if can get a connection to my modem again... Whenever I try something that requires admin rights I get asked for the root pw. I also get a negative response when I enter it into this dialogue.

So how do I get root to response from or log in to the graphical user interface.

Quote Originally Posted by empuser View Post
    So how do I get root to response from or log in to the graphical user interface.
    pros and cons:
    https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...-a-4175419122/
    the gist:
    if you have to ask this question, don't do it.
    If a post is too long I might miss important information. Keep it short & on topic or mark the important bits.

You can post a link by removing "http://www." from it!
    Stuck? Please read this! | please use CODE TAGS for code, please!

Quote Originally Posted by empuser View Post
    This is the first time I use a linux system...

After the installation I changed inittab to id:4:initdefault: and created a new user. But I can still only use the console log in as root.
    The reason why I need it is that I want to change the method of IPv4 from "manual" to "automatic" to see if can get a connection to my modem again... Whenever I try something that requires admin rights I get asked for the root pw. I also get a negative response when I enter it into this dialogue.

why are you on slackware and which GUI are you using? i dont even know why im in the slackware forum...... i got lost somehow.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    If you feel you need to login into GUI as root then stop and reflect. You are doing something wrong. There is no need to log into X as root, never.

Quote Originally Posted by Segfault View Post
    If you feel you need to login into GUI as root then stop and reflect. You are doing something wrong. There is no need to log into X as root, never.
    I agree.. Just have a terminal window open, and start which ever processes you need as root before starting work if you need to save time..