Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
ok here is the deal i have a notebook i finally got Slackware installed i am using version 10. 2.4.26 kernel. the wireless card is working only thing i dont ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Wireless Card on my Notebook

ok here is the deal i have a notebook i finally got Slackware installed i am using version 10. 2.4.26 kernel. the wireless card is working only thing i dont understand is i enrypted my access point. how do i put the key in on my wireless card. i cannot connect to the internet until then. thanks

btw slackware 10 installed and recognized everything just fine on my notebook it seems i havent checked sound. also i used from the disk the apci precompiled kernel which is what i think made my prism2 card come to life because i believe that precompiled kernel has the wlan stuff selected. just incase any of you install a PCMCIA wireless card most will be identified easily.
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

iwconfig is your friend:
    Code:
    man iwconfig

ahh ok i saw on a website that touched on it but it wasnt very descriptive on what it was for thanks
    Blog

I have run into this issue too and wasn't able to get it resolved. I believe it has to do with the bit encryption. Something like if you have a 128 encryption on the wap then you need a G card and a b wont work. (just a Theory.) I posted the same problem earlier and we couldn't figure it out. I edited the file in /etc/rc.d/rc.wireless.conf. I put the encryption code in there but it didn't work so my correction was to filter mac addresses. That works great and I would be able to see if anybody connected, but so far no one has been able to beet the Mac filter.

Good Luck

If you do keep going on it and figure it out let us know, but if you decide not to then do the mac filtering it works for me.

Mike
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

Linux Guru
    To set the key using iwconfig, use

Code:
    iwconfig wlan0 key 1234567890
    Where wlan0 is your card. On mine, it's just eth0.
    I've had issues using 128 bit encryption and I'm not quite sure why. 64 bit works great, though so I stick with it.

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

i just want some encryption so i dont get war driven. i had a strange pc on my access point one night when i was going thru the dhcp address list and found an IP that wasnt from me.
    Blog

Ya but MACS are Unique and if you set filtering on to only allow the mac addresses you allow that should be more than good enough.

*Jeremy - I couldn't get the 128 to work at all have you been able too. I can only get the 64 to work with a B card too.

I think 128 works with G
    I think 64 works with b

Just a theory though.

Mike
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

Linux Guru
    Could be, but I have a g card and couldn't get 128 bit working.

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

I have a b card and couldn't get 128 working either. 128 is so encrypted we can't even get to it with legit cards hehe
    Mike
    -- Linus Torvalds

Quote Originally Posted by adrenaline
    Ya but MACS are Unique and if you set filtering on to only allow the mac addresses you allow that should be more than good enough.

*Jeremy - I couldn't get the 128 to work at all have you been able too. I can only get the 64 to work with a B card too.

I think 128 works with G
    I think 64 works with b

Just a theory though.

Mike
    i have a b card and i may try only allowing certain mac addresses thru i will try to see if my AP is advanced enough to limit MACs of my choosing. I am using a SMC card and access point
    Blog

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast