Find the answer to your Linux question:
Gnome sees my monitor correctly, Kde doesn't. I noticed this when I typed "init 4" instead of "startx" like I normally do after logging in. In Kde I had to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Getting used to Gnome

Gnome sees my monitor correctly, Kde doesn't. I noticed this when I typed "init 4" instead of "startx" like I normally do after logging in. In Kde I had to "adjust all fonts" to 150. And then some of the fonts in certain places weren't visible.

But, in Gnome, all fonts are visible without any adjustment.(So far, from what I have seen)

So, I guess I will have to get used to Gnome. Why there would be a difference between Kde and Gnome, I have no idea.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Re: Getting used to Gnome

Quote Originally Posted by budman7
    So, I guess I will have to get used to Gnome. Why there would be a difference between Kde and Gnome, I have no idea.
    That's like asking for the differences between apples and unleaded gasoline.

The main thing, though, is that Gnome is built using the gtk widget library and KDE is built using the qt widget library. Gnome is also more modulated than KDE (there are more, smaller pieces).

Those are just a couple of the big ones...
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Linux Engineer
    Please explain more about what you mean by Gnome sees your monitor correctly and KDE doesn't. If it's just the fonts, then try changing to a different font and messing with the anti alias stuff, the defaults don't always look the best.

Actually KDE is a bunch of smaller pieces, you just download them in a few big pieces

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    When I first typed "startx" and logged into kde, my fonts were so small that I couldn't make out any words at all. Words looked like ------ that, so I "adjusted all fonts" in the control center from whatever they were at to 150. Then they became visible.

When I logged into Gnome by typing "init 4" as root all of my fonts were the correct size. So I went into Control Center to check what the fonts were set at, they were only set at 10, and they were visible as normal words.

Hence my conclusion that Gnome is seeing my monitor correctly.
    When I had SuSE 9.1, I had the same problem, I recorded what SuSE saw my monitor as 2709x2601 mm
    reality 365x 273 mm

I am not sure if this is a problem with my monitor or my video card.
    Monitor=Viewsonic PF790
    Video card=Intel 845G(onboard)

I hope this explains it better.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ