Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Slackware Termnal Issues

Hello peeps. I have just started using Slack and am liking it. There are some small things that I want to fix. When I use the terminal as user, there are no text highlighting, such as different colored text for directories, and green for executables. I also don't have anything telling me where I am.

Normal terminal

Code:
    machine@username:~$
    or

Code:
    machine@username:~/Downloads/some-directory$
    My terminal

Code:
    bash4.3$
    I really find that being able to see the directory I'm in, and the text highlighting is very helpful. Any Slackers out there that can help?

Come on quit Slacking off!!

Saint Paul, MN, USA / CentOS, Debian, Slackware, {Free, Open, Net}BSD, Solaris
    Hi.

The file $HOME/.bashrc may have settings and aliases to do what you desire. For example:
    Code:
    # enable color support of ls and also add handy aliases
    if [ -x /usr/bin/dircolors ]; then
        eval "`dircolors -b`"
        alias ls='ls -CF --color=never'
        #alias ls='ls --color=auto'
        #alias dir='dir --color=auto'
        #alias vdir='vdir --color=auto'

#alias grep='grep --color=auto'
        #alias fgrep='fgrep --color=auto'
        #alias egrep='egrep --color=auto'
    On a system like:
    Code:
    OS, ker|rel, machine: Linux, 3.18.11, x86_64
    Distribution        : Slackware 14.1
    Best wishes ... cheers, drl
    Welcome - get the most out of the forum by reading forum basics and guidelines: click here.
    90% of questions can be answered by using man pages, Quick Search, Advanced Search, Google search, Wikipedia.
    We look forward to helping you with the challenge of the other 10%.
    ( Mn, 2.6.n, AMD-64 3000+, ASUS A8V Deluxe, 1 GB, SATA + IDE, Matrox G400 AGP )

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I don't have a .bashrc file. Can I copy the one for root. Because when i switch to root via "su -" I get color, so there must be a separate config file for root. Probably in /etc...I'm gonna give it a go. I'm running 14.2 by the way.

Hey I think I fount something in the link you shared Segfault. The root config for my bash is in /etc/profile. I copied the contents of /etc/profile to ~/.bashrc and that worked. Thanks Segfault and drl. I appreciate it. While I was doing that I accidentally typed cp /etc/profile ~/.nanorc and overwrote my .nanorc . So now I have to go copy .nanorc back again. Gotta love and hate that Linux does whatever you say.