Find the answer to your Linux question:
I`ve just bought a dell C610 1Ghz PIII mobility, 256 sdram @ 133, 20Gb drive, 16 mB ati mobility, dvd-rom and 2 PCMCIA II slots. Im dual booting XP and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing slack on a dell laptop...

I`ve just bought a dell C610 1Ghz PIII mobility, 256 sdram @ 133, 20Gb drive, 16 mB ati mobility, dvd-rom and 2 PCMCIA II slots.

Im dual booting XP and gentoo on my desktop on the mo so im not 100% a *nix n00b having said this i would not say i was competent either.

Im wanting to run slack on my lappy for 3 main reasons:

1)Slack is fast and this lappy aint excatly great specs
    2)It will make me learn more about linux
    3)Its a different distro, gota try em all

And also i wanna try a 100% MS free machine. With me been at uni, studying CS im not really playing many games on me desktop, just mens work (grrr :P) and am really tempted to switch me desktop to *nix only.

What i wanna know is:

1)What main differences are there between installing on a lappy to a desktop? I know which modprobes for me nic and gfx card incase slack dont pic em up. I also know the one for me sound card as from what i have read slack aint too grand with alsa.

2)Whats the best forums for slack help? I have found the linux forums one.

3)Know any good installation guides for slack? I have found this which looks good to me.

I have also found http://www.linux-laptop.net/ which could well be helpfull

Any other tips?

Thanks

Linux, laptop and one o these sounds like fun to me...

Hi, and welcome
    The procedure is generally the same as with a desktop, but you'll want to make sure you install "pcmcia-cs" if you want to use your PCMCIA slots for anything useful.
    The forums here are pretty active in general, so this would be a good place for your Slackware questions.
    Welcome once again,
    -lakerdonald

Just Joined!
    Thanks much.

I bought it off ebay and its arriving tuesday. Just trying to get as much info as possible before starting.

Thanks

No problem. And once again welcome.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the quick repliesa and the warm welcome.

Im also thinking about using a 'light-weight' window manger and XFCE looks and sounds good, and also i wanna try something different from KDE and Gnome. Im a bit confused tho.

Am i right in thinking I can run both GTK and KDE apps through this without having to actually been in gnome or kde, or would i have to still actually be in gnome or kde???

Maybe im showing my n00bness here but things like fluxbox and XFCE confuse me (that dont take much..) but would like to try em as its something different and thats whats linux is all about for me, choice. Ohh and not been treated by an idiot by my OS...

You can run GNOME/KDE applications in any Window Manager. for lightweight, I suggest fluxbox, Enlightenment!!!!, or XFCE.

Linux Enthusiast
    Yes Slackware is fast, but if you wanted to learn about the system, Gentoo is better... Especially a stage 1 installation.
    Emotions are the key to the soul.
    Registered Linux User #375050