Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello As you can see, I run Suse 9.2 on my laptop. I eventually hope to be building a server after the summer and (as of right now) have decided ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Couple simple questions

Hello

As you can see, I run Suse 9.2 on my laptop. I eventually hope to be building a server after the summer and (as of right now) have decided that I will use Slackware on this server. My questions are these:

1) Does Slackware have a package management system like Apt-Get in Debian or Yast in Suse?
    2) I have read that Slackware is good for servers. Does anyone have any experience with Slackware on a server?

I would have used Suse, but I want to try a new distro and have read good things about Slackware.

Thanks,
    Bryan

1) Does Slackware have a package management system like Apt-Get in Debian or Yast in Suse?
    Yes, there are a couple. I recommend slapt-get http://www.linuxpackages.net/pkg_details.php?id=3326

over SWART. SWART has a tendency to **** peoples systems up, i'm a statistic.

SCS
    Just Joined!
    I've got my slack box running a counterstrike server(lan), intranet server, file server, and music server. I have both Windows and Linux clients able to access it without issue. The longest uptime I have had is 33 days before I had to restart due to a kernel change.

Thanks everyone for the reply,

Well, it sounds like Slackware is going to be a good choice. It seems like it has what I need (package management and reliability as a server), so I think I will give it a try.

Thanks again for the responses,
    Bryan

Cool! Slack makes it easy to manage packages with its pkgtool utitlty.