I have encountered the dreaded NFS-Portmap problem. I've tried everything I've googled on the net, but can't seem to pinpoint the problem.

I have Slackware 9.1 on the server, and am using the one-floppy Tomsrtbt rescue disk to boot a 486 where the exported directory will be mounted. I had done this succesfully in the last week, but suddenly tonight when I tried to mount the directory again, I get the following errors.

The client says the mount fails, "reason give by server: Permission Denied."

When I enter 'rpcinfo -p client' in the server, I get: "can't contact portmapper: RPC: Remote system error - Connection refused"

The log says: "Jan 28 02:20:39 darkstar rpc.mountd: authenticated mount request from :753 for /out (/out)" with /out being the exported directory. Thus the server is receiving the request from the client.

Pinging the two hosts works fine, as does telnetting from the client into the server. I've explicitly allowed both client and server to access in hosts.allow. I've rebooted several times, re-exported the files and tried everything I could think of that might be wrong.

Any idea as to where the problem might be?

-Spole