Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
i just want to know what packages i need to install before i upgrade Xorg. gnome will stay the same. i need to upgrade x so i can try installing ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

i just want to know what packages i need to install before i upgrade Xorg. gnome will stay the same. i need to upgrade x so i can try installing the ATI drivers recently released. gnome will have thier dependancies hopefully listed on their website before i upgrade it.
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

If you are using slackware-current you can install the packages, without dependency problems. But if you are using Slackware 10.0 those X.org 6.8.1 packages are not the correct packages for that version of Slackware. They could work, but they could break things as well.

Gnome support is to be dropped by Slackware. If you want Gnome on Slackware, there is something called Dropline Gnome.
    I\'m so tired .....

i actually plan on switching to KDE once i get it upgraded to 3.3 i have heard it is much better version than previous versions.

then how am i supposed to install the ATI drivers with being on 6.7 and get myself out of the Hell that ATI has again put its users in. i dont understand why they didnt write for 6.7 and 6.8. well i understand one word...bottomline.

until i get more income in i cannot buy an nvidia card as of yet.
    Blog

You could use the Slackware-current buildscripts to create X.org-6.8.1 packages for your version of Slackware. That way you are quite sure things will work on your machine. Just copy the slackware-current/source/x dir from ftp to your machine (it includes the source as well) and run the buildscript. Or upgrade to Slackware-current, which is about to be released as Slackware 10.1 .
    I\'m so tired .....

I upgraded my x.org from 6.7 to 6.8.1 using the packages from slackware-current about 2 weeks ago. Here's what I did:

Download glibc2.3.4 from http://www.slackware.com/pb/download...c-2.3.4-i486-1
    Also Download all of the packages from http://www.slackware.com/pb/browse.p...nt/slackware/x

Then as root upgrade to all of these packages (if you have downloaded them all to one directory then just do upgradepkg *)

thats it. It all worked for me.
    Ubuntu Jaunty :: Arch Linux (current) :: Acer Aspire 1692WMLi

THANKS I WILL TRY THAT TONIGHT WHEN I GET HOME I AM HAPPY SOMEONE HAS TRIED THIS AND IT WORKS
    Blog

Oh one important thing I forgot to mention is that you 'MUST' change the keyboard driver from "Keyboard" to "kbd" in /etc/X11/xorg.conf

so the keyboard section should look something like:
    Code:
    Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard1"
        Driver      "kbd"

ok how do i change window managers i am currently on gnome and i want to switch to KDE. i know i can run it by typing kdm but i want to use it as my primary window manager.
    Blog

what happens if you type startkde at the command shell?

havent done that ever i usually type kdm but it seems wmconfig doesnt work or atleast i cant find it. i will try this tonight.
    Blog

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast