Find the answer to your Linux question:
im a total noob... i have xp and slack 9.0 dualbooted i want to learn linux.. im told slackware is one of the first so i figured i would start ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

mounting external drives

im a total noob...

i have xp and slack 9.0 dualbooted

i want to learn linux.. im told slackware is one of the first so i figured i would start there.. i cant figure out how to mount my usb thumb drive.

i have the slackware essentials pdf and i couldn't find it in there..

i think i made a mount point for it as flash but cant remember.. is there a way to check?? i also need to mount my external hard drive how would i do that it is ntfs format.. and the thumb drive is fat32..

thanks for the help

Mchipser

P.S. i dont have the best internet connection here in iraq so i cant really download alot of stuff if need be.

For the thumbdrive, try:
    Code:
    mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/flash
    as for the NTFS drive, you'll need to compile NTFS support into the kernel, or download a driver for it. Also, for the external, is it USB as well?
    Try, after enabling NTFS:
    Code:
    mkdir /mnt/usb
    mount -t ntfs /dev/sda2 /mnt/usb
    although it might be sda3 or 4...

Have a look at this tutorial on mounting flash drives http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/topic-26510.html
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    ok i got the flash drive and the ntfs drive mounted.. i cnat play any media off them though. i have to copy the file to the hd to play it.. when i play it no sound comes out.. i am going to modprobe mydevice and see what it is doing.. i also cant configure my nic for a static ip.. i tried ifconfig didnt work i am going to try netconfig and see.. will post back

Myke

Just Joined!
    ok i got the flash drive and the ntfs drive mounted.. i cnat play any media off them though. i have to copy the file to the hd to play it.. when i play it no sound comes out.. i am going to modprobe mydevice and see what it is doing.. i also cant configure my nic for a static ip.. i tried ifconfig didnt work i am going to try netconfig and see.. will post back

Myke

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by mchipser

Myke
    Is that when its copied? under the other HD
    What software do you use,
    What are you trying to play
    Whats the error you get if trying to read from original source
    Please read the Posting Guidelines on top of the message you type.... If asking a technical question, please include as much detail as possible, eg which distribution you are using, and include any error messages.

i also cant configure my nic for a static ip.. i tried ifconfig didnt work
    Code:
    /sbin/ifconfig eth0 192.168.10.12 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.10.255
    And if it doesnt work... please dont simply say it doesnt work....
    Please read the Posting Guidelines on top of the message you type.... If asking a technical question, please include as much detail as possible, eg which distribution you are using, and include any error messages.
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Just Joined!

config nic

ok sorry about that..

when i try to use ifconfig i can change the ip but i also need to add the dns ip and dont know how to do it . also the gateway ip

sorry again

Myk3