Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I have recently tried to get my slackware box into init 4 so that I could login directly to xwindows. when i put in my details though it just ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

X11 Sessions in Slackware with KDE

Hello,

I have recently tried to get my slackware box into init 4 so that I could login directly to xwindows. when i put in my details though it just comes back to the login prompt no matter what i do.

There are no error messages in any of the log files either. Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Linux Engineer
    init 4? for a gui interface (X in the occurence), the init is 5.
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Just Joined!

that maybe the case normally

That maybe the case normally but here is from the /etc/inittab in slackware-current.

# These are the default runlevels in Slackware:
    # 0 = halt
    # 1 = single user mode
    # 2 = unused (but configured the same as runlevel 3)
    # 3 = multiuser mode (default Slackware runlevel)
    # 4 = X11 with KDM/GDM/XDM (session managers)
    # 5 = unused (but configured the same as runlevel 3)
    # 6 = reboot

looks like 4 = X11.for slackware.

Quote Originally Posted by UgoDeschamps
    on some distro's it is 'init 5' and on some it is 'init 4'

to get it to boot to 'X' you will need to edit your inittab to set the default runlevel
    here is mine i boot to console(vt) then i xinit

• # Default runlevel.
      id:3:initdefault:
    if you change it to
    • # Default runlevel.
      id:4:initdefault:

it should work

also i dont know where you do it in slack but in gentoo in /etc/rc.conf we put the
    DISPLAYMANAGER="whatever u want to use" xdm kdm gdm and a few others
    XSESSION="kde" or gnome or whatever wm you want to use
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by loft306
    Quote Originally Posted by UgoDeschamps
    on some distro's it is 'init 5' and on some it is 'init 4'

to get it to boot to 'X' you will need to edit your inittab to set the default runlevel
    here is mine i boot to console(vt then xinit)

• # Default runlevel.
      id:3:initdefault:
    if you change it to
    • # Default runlevel.
      id:4:initdefault:

it should work
    Oops my bad...
    Gotta love standars!!!
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Just a suggestion. I always boot mine into runlevel 3 because if you log into runlever 4/5 and have to change monitors or go to a friends house and connect to his monitor and your specs don't work there is nothing you can do to fix it you are usually stuck in a black screen or an unreadable screen. If you boot into runlevel 3 and x doesn't work it will default back to a usable shell so you can edit xorg. for the new screen. I know it is an extra step during normal logins but it does save you from not being able to login at all.
    Just a learning issue I have had to deal with.
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

Just Joined!

re..

If you mess up your monitor settings, you can usually hit ctrl+alt+f6 to drop you into a terminal. Not sure how far into the x session you have to get to get that to work, but I was able to fix my xorg.conf file like that after I messed up the vert/horz refresh rates on my monitor.

And I think changing your default xsession varies alot... you can set your default with xwmconfig from the terminal(Slack), but that doesnt work if your boot into init4. I had to edit the $HOME/.dmrc file to say Session=kde. But that is with the gdm graphical login. I am sure its prolly different if you use the kdm graphical login