Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Hi there, I just got a shiney new Dell Optiplex withe a sata HD drive, a cd/dvdrom drive and cdrom recorder. I loaded Fedora core 3 and everything came up ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

New cd/dvdrom drive problem

Hi there,

I just got a shiney new Dell Optiplex withe a sata HD drive, a cd/dvdrom drive and cdrom recorder. I loaded Fedora core 3 and everything came up and worked, sound (integrated), cd writer, the works. But when I try to play an audio CD, the CDDB shows the artist and track, the timer starts, it *looks* like iit's playing but no sound comes out. I looked inside and noticed that the cable that normaly (on my other machines) connects the cdrom to the sound card was missing, but the jacks were there so I hooked them up with a spare cable I had kicking around. I'd notiiced that audio cdroms play directly into the sound card on older machines.. When I brought the machine back up the cdrom player wouldn't work. I could open it and put in a cd but it wouldn't close when I pushed the button and when I forced it closed the OS wouldn't see the cd drive AT ALL. I can rip a cd to the har disk and listen to it but there's not direct communication.

Has anyone else noticed this? I'm wondering iif this is the cd drive equivalent of a WinModem where the OS takes the place of the direct connection. The cds play on XP using media player. Is there a Linux equivalent?

No its not the eqivalent to winmodem - it should work. Did you realize you posted in the Slackware forum?
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

Linux User
    I don't mount my audio cd's just try to play them from command shell with

Code:
    workbone
    Linux registered user #358842
    Human knowledge belongs to the world.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2