Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hey guys, Well, even asking this questions seems ridiculous to me *hanging my head in shame* . This is only a problem I am having in Slackware, but I need ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

Audio cds and dvd players...

Hey guys,

Well, even asking this questions seems ridiculous to me *hanging my head in shame* . This is only a problem I am having in Slackware, but I need to know what I am doing wrong?

Ok first of all the drive is a cd-r/dvd combo drive.

When I mount it as a cdrom I can see everything and use it on a data disk,

I have no problem burning cds,

How do I play audio cds, when I mount them either through terminal or the kde icon they show up as mounted but there is nothing in the folder as with a data cd, and I cannot figure out how to play it with xmms

second is how do I play dvds? I mount as a dvd but through the /dev/cdrom since its the same device or in kde I use the dvd mount icon. I see two folders each filled with files on the disk, but how do I initialize play of the movie, I have tried xine but it might be out of date, its the one that came with the slackware 10.0 release. Are there other players that I should try.

I'm used to an old ****** comp and just got a new one so I need to check out its hardware and video,

Thanks alot for your time guys in reading this, but they are extremely embarrasing questions to have to ask
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

As for dvd's try installing ogle from here works well for me and does all the mounting for me http://www.dtek.chalmers.se/groups/dvd/
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Linux Engineer
    thanks SO MUCH dylunio I'll give ogle a try, hopefully it'll do its job. You got any clue on the audio cds?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    well its my understanding that you don't mount audio cds, just use a cd player to play it

Linux Engineer
    ok, I'll give it a try but its not going so well so far :o

to play a dvd in slackware, i always mount it and then use totem player to play it. You should be able to play it in xine to, under prefernces, media, dvd it asks where are you mounting the dvd. put /dev/cdrom

the xmms thing
    preference, audio i/o plugins, configure cd audio player plugin.

make sure the device is correct (for me it was actually /dev/hdc

now in xmms play directory, and choose we ever you have it defined as mounting (/mnt/cdrom or whatever)
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

Linux Engineer
    thanks so much vergil, I will try this tomorrow and post back if there's a hitch...sorry about the questions

Quote Originally Posted by genesus
    thanks so much vergil, I will try this tomorrow and post back if there's a hitch...sorry about the questions
    no problem that is why we are here

and don't thank me until it actually works
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

I use Xine , but to play encrypted dvds I had to download and install a program called dvdcss.tgz.
    I click xine in mutimedia>xine
    then I push the dvd button then play and voila
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

Just Joined!
    hello

you can go to www.slacky.it and download the DVD-Rip Megapack from there, it has everything you need to play/rip a dvd. but i suggest you do not install the package "mplayer" from this megapack, rather go to www.mplayerhq.huu and use their source ball. also, make sure you have the win32 libs from www.mplayerhq.hu.

for audio cd you can play them with xine!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast