Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello. I have downloaded XFCE 4.2.0 from linuxpackages and verified the md5sum. Im a bit puzzled on what to do next. Im guessing this is not going to be as ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

XFCE 4.0.5 to 4.2.0 ???

Hello.

I have downloaded XFCE 4.2.0 from linuxpackages and verified the md5sum. Im a bit puzzled on what to do next.

Im guessing this is not going to be as simple as "installpkg XFCE <whatever>" stopping X then starting it again.

I know this is a big ask but i cant seem to find a slack specific guide for this so, how would i go about this??

Also, would it be possible to add xfce 4.2 to the xwmconfig menu and remove the old one?

Thanks much

You could just do upgradepkg xfce..... that will upgrade 4.0.2 to 4.2

Personally I downloaded the installation wizard from ocillation ( http://www.os-cillation.com/article.php?sid=43 ) and installed it using that. brfore installing I removed the xfce on my system (through pkgtool) then just ran the 'xfce4-4.2.0-installer.bin' file (as root of course).

worked for me.
    Ubuntu Jaunty :: Arch Linux (current) :: Acer Aspire 1692WMLi

Just Joined!
    Thanks much.

I posted before I heard slack 10.1 was out. Seen as though I have only had 10.0 installed for a few days and i have a T3 line here at uni im going to upgrade to 10.1

Thanks tho.