Find the answer to your Linux question:
ok so problem is that i can't change to dir where my windows partition is mounted as normal user. As superuser : mount /dev/hda5 /mnt/d , and then i want ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

can't change dir

ok so problem is that i can't change to dir where my windows partition is mounted as normal user. As superuser : mount /dev/hda5 /mnt/d , and then i want to change to it as normal user but it says cannot change directory , permission denied, even if i chmod 777 /mnt/d i get the same error. If i umount the partition i can change to that directory.

Linux Engineer

Re: can't change dir

Quote Originally Posted by kosmos
    ok so problem is that i can't change to dir where my windows partition is mounted as normal user. As superuser : mount /dev/hda5 /mnt/d , and then i want to change to it as normal user but it says cannot change directory , permission denied, even if i chmod 777 /mnt/d i get the same error. If i umount the partition i can change to that directory.
    If I understand correctly, you mounted a drive into /mnt/d then if you "cd /mnt/d" it doesnt work?
    can you cd to it with SuperUser?
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Is the drive NTFS or FAT32? If it is NTFS, try adding a line such as this to your /etc/fstab:
    Code:
    /dev/hda5 /mnt/d ntfs user 0 0
    and if it's fat:
    Code:
    /dev/hda5 /mnt/d vfat user 0 0
    That should work

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    UgoDeschamps: yes i can cd to it as SuperUser
    lakerdonald: it is FAT partition and adding this line to /etc/fstab didn't helped.

I have one more thing. When i mount it and go as normal user to XWindow i have icon od disk that is mounted on my desktop and i can open it with file manager ( autilius ) and i can see directories on that windows partition but when i want to open any dir i get : "couldn't open /mnt/d/other , the attempt to log in failed".

edit: if i mount /dev/sr0 /mnt/cdrom i can cd to it as normal user.

After you added that line to the fstab, did you unmount and then remount the drive?

Just Joined!
    i rebooted system.

Just Joined!
    Code:
    /dev/hda5   /mnt/d/   vfat   ro,user,unhide,noauto,umask=022
    and now everythig works .
    most important options are unhide and umask.