Find the answer to your Linux question:
First of all, I installed OO.o 1.1.4 just fine, but it can't read the latest .odt files made by OO.o 2 beta, so I need to get OO.o 2 beta ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    MuD
    Just Joined!

Newbie needs help installing latest OO.o 2 Beta...

First of all, I installed OO.o 1.1.4 just fine, but it can't read the latest .odt files made by OO.o 2 beta, so I need to get OO.o 2 beta installed on Slackware. I removed the old OO.o, downloaded the latest one to /tmp, and extracted the RPMS with "tar xzf". Now there's the directory /tmp/RPMS/ with the RPMS in it.

So far so good. When I tried to run "alien -k *.i585.rpm", it said "command not found". I'm installing it as root, so that's not the problem. I made it to step 2 in the readme below. Any help on this is much appreciated.

http://installation.openoffice.org/s...=dev&msgNo=609

And the "old" readme, for OO.o 1.1.4:
    http://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/instructions.html

Oh, and another thing, I tried to"rpm2tgz" the files and that went O.K. But now I don't know what to do to install the program. At least now I can see what's inside the folders though.

Linux Engineer
    not sure if you have to do this, but did you put "./" in front of the file you were trying to run...hope this isn't too far of
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

MuD
    Just Joined!
    Yeah, I tried many times, no luck. With the "rpm2tgz" command I'm now able to see a file named "openofficeorg-core01-1.9.77-1.i586.tgz", "openofficeorg-core02-1.9.77-1.i586.tgz" etc. I think core01 needs to be installed first, but I have no idea how to get it going.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    should be able to pick it up from www.freshmeat.net then just "installpkg whatever"...
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

MuD
    Just Joined!
    Excuse my ignorance, but what should I be looking for on Freshmeat?

Edit: nevermind. I figured it out. I had to "tar xfvs /home/MuD/Desktop/RPMS/(and all the directories that ended in .tgz in here)" as root to let OO.o install itself in /opt/openoffice.org1.9.77/... Now onto my printer problem...