Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by techieMoe *Bear with me here; I've gotten used to just running YaST for everything. It's a shame your test box isn't on the Internet, otherwise you could ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    *Bear with me here; I've gotten used to just running YaST for everything.
    It's a shame your test box isn't on the Internet, otherwise you could download and install slapt-get and have alsa* downloaded and installed in no time. It's pretty much like apt-get only for Slack.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

to install packages from the CD you just have to know what package you are looking for mount the cd browse to where the package is and type installpkg and the name of the package and it installs it.
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan
    It's a shame your test box isn't on the Internet...
    It's a shame there's no broadband internet access at my house. That would simplify everything. One of the main reasons I stick with SuSE is that it has a DVD full of software that I can install without needing an internet connection.

Quote Originally Posted by carlosponti
    to install packages from the CD you just have to know what package you are looking for mount the cd browse to where the package is and type installpkg and the name of the package and it installs it.
    Thanks, I'll give it a shot.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Banned
    For your chipset, you seem to need the "cmipci" snd module...
    If alsa really doesn't auto detect your card, you might need to build it manually(either in the kernel or as a module).
    Here's how:
    http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc...&module=cmipci

Quote Originally Posted by jens
    For your chipset, you seem to need the "cmipci" snd module...
    If alsa really doesn't auto detect your card, you might need to build it manually(either in the kernel or as a module).
    Thanks. Yeah, I was hoping I could solve this without building the module myself. If the alsa-modules package doesn't solve it I'm going to table Slackware for the moment. It was just a curiosity and I'm not really all that interested in hacking at this since I already have a distro that suits my needs.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Update...

Well, I got a new spare 120GB drive yesterday and decided on a whim to try it out using Slackware 10.1. I was amazed that suddenly my soundcard worked! I'm guessing the issue that was giving me trouble on the other drive was the fact that GRUB kept loading the SuSE 2.6 kernel at boot rather than the Slackware 2.4, but I could be wrong. I have this drive partitioned into 3 40GBs and one 512MB swap. All seems to be well so far. My props to Slack for suddenly stepping up to the plate.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

cool deal. i have slackware 10.0 installed on a notebook and i finally got the sound working too. the only thing not working is the wireless card and thats only because my access point is now retarded. but i was very happy with the installation of slack it does well and i am able to surf the internet(if i get a new AP) in the living room in my undies again
    Blog

and i am able to surf the internet(if i get a new AP) in the living room in my undies again
    I think there is such a thing as too much information.
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

Quote Originally Posted by adrenaline
    and i am able to surf the internet(if i get a new AP) in the living room in my undies again
    I think there is such a thing as too much information.
    things that make you go buha (shivers)
    Blog

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2