Find the answer to your Linux question:
Simple question, how can i write to a device without root privelages? (i can read any file on the device) Also, when i try to make a shortcut to the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

cant write to device

Simple question, how can i write to a device without root privelages? (i can read any file on the device) Also, when i try to make a shortcut to the device on my desktop i get an error saying:
    The desktop entry file
    /home/user/Desktop/MO Device
    is of type FSDevice but has no Dev=... entry.
    .. and that happens as root and any other user. Help please?

To write to a device, change any ro which occurs in the fstab file to rw and remount to take effect. For users to write, make sure that there is a users entry at the end of the line.

Linux Newbie
    ok so should i add something to the fstab file? and if i do what should i add?
    i mean i have no /dev/sda1 or anything that would mean the usb drive

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    If you can't see the usb drive, have it plugged in before the system boots. While it is booting, the system should detect it. The system should automatically add an entry to the fstab file.

When the system detects it, there should be a line similar to :
    /dev/sda1 /mnt/removable auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,kudzu,codepage=850,noauto,exec,users 0 0

This should allow for any authenticated user to write to the usb device which is mounted at /mnt/removeable.

Linux Newbie
    Hmm. I dont want to bother you anymore but that didnt cut it. I'll just use root from now on instead. Do you think its because i set something up wrong at the install so it wouldnt check?

I don't think you set something wrong up during install, the sda files are created on boot and the entry is written to fstab during boot. That is why you don't have an fstab entry now as the device is not detected. You need to have the entries for user for the device file in fstab.

/dev/sda1 /mnt/removable auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,kudzu,codepage=850,noauto,exec,users 0 0

If you use the above line, you also need a directory in mnt called removeable.

check out this tutorial for more info

http://www.linuxforums.org/tutorials...ial-26510.html