Find the answer to your Linux question:
I was over at a freinds house. He uses a slackwre box as a file server. I sau this in var log messages. Does anyone know what this means. Feb ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

/var/log/messages

I was over at a freinds house. He uses a slackwre box as a file server. I sau this in var log messages. Does anyone know what this means.

Feb 26 21:00:23 Spiderman -- MARK --

This happens every 20 minutes.
    Mike
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

the log does that every 20 minutes if no events happened, it does that to assure you that the syslog was functional at the time and hadn't been stopped by someone or something that would not want their actions to be logged.

stopping the log would be a typical action of a cracker if he wanted to for example, plant a root kit

Thanks for that. I run slackware on my laptop but my logs were different. That is good to know because I thought we were being hacked every 20 minutes by a stupid hacker that was giving his name Mark lol.

Just kidding but I wasn't really sure what was going on.
    Mike
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds