Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
For some reason I'm not liking Slack 10.1 too well. I actually am only running Win and Mandrake right now. Mandrake is taking up too much room so I need ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Slack 10.0 or 10.1?

For some reason I'm not liking Slack 10.1 too well. I actually am only running Win and Mandrake right now. Mandrake is taking up too much room so I need something light and simple. So I'm thinking that Slack would be perfect but I remember using both 10 and 10.1 and recalling that 10 was far superior. Any thoughts on this? Furthermore, should I just download an old Slack just for kicks? (I've heard some people say that the old Slack was really cool). One thing is for certain is that I wil not put 10.1 back on. It was mainly because I think KDE 3.3 sucks and Gnome 2.7 refused to work. Some Slack info and/or history would be most appreciated. Thanks.
    Registered Linux user #393103

DFX
    Just Joined!
    if you didn't like the distro because of gnome or kde, use a different windows manager

Ok...

I realize that but everything wasn't really my style. Meh, I'll just throw on 10...

Linux Engineer
    don't worry about it, I tried 10.1 and had some troubles that were not present in 10, so I had to revert as well
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

Thanks

Thanks for the tip.

"Living is easy with eyes closed" hmm... John Lennon, "Strawberry Fields Forever" if I am not mistaken, nice quote.

I used 10 and 10.1 and really notice no significant differences except that the 2.6.10 kernel is really very fast. I use IceWM, and have experienced no problems running any of my favourite apps under 10 nor under 10.1.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Linux User
    No big difference between 10.0 and 10.1 but I'm using 10.1 and everything is OK.
    Linux registered user #358842
    Human knowledge belongs to the world.

Just Joined!
    After running them both, I like the updates in 10.1. Just like all the other .1 releases, always lots of updated goodies, but nothing so major that you need it.

I use 10.1 and I have no issues except I lost the apci in the kernel so I need to recompile the kernel and my wireless wont recieve a dhcp for some reason but does work if I staticly assign an IP. Other than that everything kicks ass. Including the upgraded kwifimanager and kde.
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

Linux Newbie
    I was wondering how often will a new "tenth" come out? Also do you think in the next one they will jump up to one of the newer kernels by default? That would make it easier, especially for me, since i could never find out how to get it in the first place.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast