Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm using Slackware 10 (kernel 2.4.26), and the amount of free RAM is getting lower and lower, constantly, in a steps of just a few kilobytes, but I installed the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

something's eating memory and i don't know what

I'm using Slackware 10 (kernel 2.4.26), and the amount of free RAM is getting lower and lower, constantly, in a steps of just a few kilobytes, but I installed the system with only basic services, as I need it just for very busy web server...

You may see a screenshot of a top utility after 16 minutes at i.vizio.biz/linux-top-2.gif, and after 2hr52min at this address: i.vizio.biz/linux-top-2.gif

The CPU is Intel Pentium 1 MMX 200 Mhz, RAM is SDRAM 256 MB...

Is it normal behaviour (I believe it is maybe a disk cache?), or is it an error?

Please help,
    Marko

Sounds like pretty normal behavior. Linux uses as much of your RAM as it can in an attempt to make performance better.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    Linux is using RAM memorz for buffering hard disk data. That makes linux so fast.

PS.
    Empty memory is useless memory, but ocupied memorz is USED

Ciao!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    Linux uses as much of your RAM as it can in an attempt to make performance better.
    That's why Linux is so fast on my PC, I have two Gigs of RAM, something XP never took much advantage of.. sweet..
    If (exoskeleton || (green && wiggles)) eat_it();

free -m will give you a summary of your memory usage, with a line for memory used by buffers and cache. It looks like this:
    Code:
    $ free -m
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:           502        493          9          0         84        202
    -/+ buffers/cache:        206        296
    Swap:         1952          0       1952
    The last number in the -/+ buffers/cache: line is the amount of free memory without buffers and cache. If that is sort of constant on an idle system there is no memory leak.

I couldn't help seeing your search on google about auto unloading unused kernel modules. Slackware takes care of that using a cronjob by default.

To get a full list of processes you could use the command ps aux. top will give a partial list by default .
    I\'m so tired .....