Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi Guys, I read lots of tutorials and such, but I can not figure out how to setup an X-Terminal on my linux server. I got the X-Win app installed ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

X-Terminal Setup in Slackware

Hi Guys,

I read lots of tutorials and such, but I can not figure out how to setup an X-Terminal on my linux server. I got the X-Win app installed on my win laptop, so now all I need to do is configure and start xdm (I think). Well, needless to say I am a bit confused on how to do that. Could anyone point me in the right direction. The system I am running is a Slackware 10 on the server and Win XP on theclient.

Thank you for any help,

- Bogdan

So you want to run X over the network? I'd suggest either investigating the Cygwin program from Windows or setting up a VNC client/server.

Quote Originally Posted by lakerdonald
    So you want to run X over the network? I'd suggest either investigating the Cygwin program from Windows or setting up a VNC client/server.
    cygwin with X would be a good idea. You can display things remotely by starting them with the --display option (most programs allow this). The best idea there, of course, would be to <wm> --display <IP>:0. This should start your wm on the X server running at the IP you specify.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close