Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Originally Posted by Flatline Ok, no error...and you still can't see anything with ls /mnt/usb? can't see anything. also, the usb flash has a LED that lits up when connected ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Quote Originally Posted by Flatline
    Ok, no error...and you still can't see anything with ls /mnt/usb?
    can't see anything. also, the usb flash has a LED that lits up when connected properly and blinks when in use. the LED does not even light up. I can continue working on this tomorrow when I get the floppy drive at the office.

Just Joined!
    uh-oh. i was at the root@amilix/mnt/usb:-# when i typed LS. However, when I am at root@amilix:-# and typed LS /mnt/usb, I CAN SEE my windows folders there! Let me try to copy the file. BRB.

Quote Originally Posted by Amilix
    Ok, no error...and you still can't see anything with ls /mnt/usb?
    can't see anything. also, the usb flash has a LED that lits up when connected properly and blinks when in use. the LED does not even light up. I can continue working on this tomorrow when I get the floppy drive at the office.

Just Joined!
    I think i got something going now. the last command INSMOD VELOCITYGET.KO did not run, i get this error: File does not exist. At the very end of the MAKE INSTALL output i see:

Build options:
    VERSION: 2.4.26
    SMP Disabled
    mkdir -p /lib/modules/2.4.26/kernel/drivers/net
    install -m 644 -o root velocityget.o /lib/modules/2.4.26/kernel/drivers/net
    /sbin/depmod 0a || true

IFCONFIG displays:
    eth0 - with a valid IP address from the router.
    lo - this has the same value as before Local Loopback

I ran from the terminal:
    IFCONFIG ETH0 DOWN
    IFCONFIG ETH0 UP

No problem so far, but when i run Konqueror from KDE, i still cannot connect. Running PING www.yahoo.com from the terminal returns unkown host www.yahoo.com

What do you think should I do next?

After you download the driver from the link I gave
    Code:
    tar -xvzf velocityget.tgz
    cd velocityget
    make 
    make install
    insmod velocityget.ko
    The kernel-source package contains the source code for your kernel; the reason I think you need it installed in order to install this driver is that you are basically compiling a kernel module, which usually requires the kernel's source code to compile against. If it's already installed (and it may be), there would be a directory full of stuff in /usr/linux/src.

The kernel source package should be on your Slackware CD. If it isn't, you can go to linuxpackages.net and grab the right one. Be sure to grab the kernel source that matches your kernel version. You can check your kernel version by using the
    Code:
    uname -r
    command

What does your /etc/resolv.conf file look like?
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    nameserver 167.206.3.251
    nameserver 167.206.3.241
    nameserver 167.206.3.185

What does your /etc/resolv.conf file look like?
    the ips above is nothing similar to what i have in my network. i can ping my notebook using the ip address from my linux pc.

Can you ping ip addresses from the linux machine? If you can ping IP addresses but not DNS names, then putting different nameservers in /etc/resolv.conf would probably fix it (4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 are nameservers that I know work).
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    goodness gracious! your signin should not be flatline. you're anything but.

I am posting this reply using my linux pc. thank you very much for the help.

is there an award system in this forum? my vfp programming forum has one which allows us to at least show our appreciation.

Can you ping ip addresses from the linux machine? If you can ping IP addresses but not DNS names, then putting different nameservers in /etc/resolv.conf would probably fix it (4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 are nameservers that I know work).

There was an award system a while back, but it seems to have been taken offline.

Just happy to help

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3