Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
first of, i am a certified newbie to linux and this is my problem (sounds like AA). i have slackware 10.0 installed and used the CD-ROM kernel when I was ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

noob network question

first of, i am a certified newbie to linux and this is my problem (sounds like AA).

i have slackware 10.0 installed and used the CD-ROM kernel when I was prompted in the setup. I have a KV8Pro motherboard with an onboard VT6122 10/100/1000 Mb PCI Ethernet Controller.

i read the previous thread and found that i can reconfigure the network using NETCONFIG. I am using a router that is also a DHCP. When I ran NETCONFIG, these are my answers:
    1. hostname=amilix
    2. domainname=localdomain
    3. setup ip=DHCP
    4. set DHCP hostname= (left blank)

This is the IFCONFIG output
    Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    RX packets:34 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:34 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    Rx bytes:2500 (2.4 Kb) TX bytes:2500 (2.4 Kb)

Amilix

Looks like slack didn't "see" your network card...all you've got there is a loopback interface. Could you run lspci and lsmod and post the output?
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Linux Engineer
    also try
    Code:
    ifconfig eth0 up
    if that works then you should be able to ping, if not you will now that your comp is not recognizing your eth0. When you boot do you have pcmcia started?
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatline
    Looks like slack didn't "see" your network card...all you've got there is a loopback interface. Could you run lspci and lsmod and post the output?
    these are, hopefully, the relevant snippets of the LSPCI output:
    1. There are 8 Host bridge: VIA Techonologies, Inc.: Unknown device
    2. Ethernet controller: VIA Technologies, Inc: Unkownn device 3119 (rev 11)

For the LSMOD, this the list:
    snd-pcm0oss (unused)
    snd-mix-oss [snd-pcm-oss]
    printer
    uhci (unused)
    ehci-hcd (unused)
    usbcore [printer uhci ehci-hcd]
    snd-via82xx
    gameport [snd-via82xx]
    ... nothing looked relevant here (all of them sound related)
    ide-scsi

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by genesus
    also try
    Code:
    ifconfig eth0 up
    if that works then you should be able to ping, if not you will now that your comp is not recognizing your eth0. When you boot do you have pcmcia started?
    says, eth0: unknown interface: No such device.

How do I start the PCMCIA? I am using a PC, not a notebook, with an onboard ethernet card.

Looks like there isn't native support for the chip on your card. You can grab drivers here: http://www.viaarena.com/downloads/dr...elocityget.tgz

Unzip the file and do a
    Code:
    make 
    make install
    insmod velocityget.ko
    I think you'll have to have your kernel source package installed for it to work properly.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    Looks like there isn't native support for the chip on your card. You can grab drivers here: http://www.viaarena.com/downloads/dr...elocityget.tgz

Unzip the file and do a
    Code:
    make 
    make install
    insmod velocityget.ko
    ahem. where will i do this? i am logged-in as root. i see root@amilix:-# from a terminal.

I think you'll have to have your kernel source package installed for it to work properly.
    what does this mean exactly?

After you download the driver from the link I gave
    Code:
    tar -xvzf velocityget.tgz
    cd velocityget
    make 
    make install
    insmod velocityget.ko
    The kernel-source package contains the source code for your kernel; the reason I think you need it installed in order to install this driver is that you are basically compiling a kernel module, which usually requires the kernel's source code to compile against. If it's already installed (and it may be), there would be a directory full of stuff in /usr/linux/src.

The kernel source package should be on your Slackware CD. If it isn't, you can go to linuxpackages.net and grab the right one. Be sure to grab the kernel source that matches your kernel version. You can check your kernel version by using the
    Code:
    uname -r
    command

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    i am using a usb flash drive because i don't have a floppy disk. i can see from the terminal using LSPCI, that all my 4 USB ports are properly identified. However, from KDE-Devices, i don't see any USB drive. I already rebooted the machine with the USB inserted before powering up the machine. Also, do I have to move the TGZ file to the root device and run it from there?

After you download the driver from the link I gave
    Code:
    tar -xvzf velocityget.tgz
    cd velocityget
    make 
    make install
    insmod velocityget.ko
    The kernel-source package contains the source code for your kernel; the reason I think you need it installed in order to install this driver is that you are basically compiling a kernel module, which usually requires the kernel's source code to compile against. If it's already installed (and it may be), there would be a directory full of stuff in /usr/linux/src.

The kernel source package should be on your Slackware CD. If it isn't, you can go to linuxpackages.net and grab the right one. Be sure to grab the kernel source that matches your kernel version. You can check your kernel version by using the
    Code:
    uname -r
    command

You can probably mount the USB drive with
    Code:
    mkdir /mnt/usb && mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb
    and then copy the package from the /mnt/usb directory to your "real" hard drive. You could run it directly from the usb drive, but it will be faster from your "real" drive. If you get an error while mounting the drive, run
    Code:
    fdisk -l
    and post the output.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast